• Thread starter Thread starter SVK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 10,680

SVK

twitter.com/svknet
ISP
Jio Fiber, Airtel 5G
Last week I upgraded Airtel's HD STB to XStream box so I can have DTH and OTT together and don't have to switch HDMI between STB and Amazon FireTV Stick. Also I can connect music system to STB (via RCA connector) so I can enjoy movies from Prime Video and Hotstar while connected to music system.
Here are some points I observed with XStream box.
1. Overall XStream box UI is sluggish compared to traditional STB. Channel changing takes time, and video of changed channel does not start immediately. But good thing is after Xstream box is powered ON from standby, it will play last viewed channel, unlike traditional STB going to CH No. 100.
2. Recording was very easy with traditional STB as remote had Record, Pause, Play, Forward, Rewind buttons. STB also had separate menu to view and play recordings. I could also schedule Series recordings and watch at convenience. In XStream box, I have yet to find option to series recording. Watching recording is also complicated as its below TV Channels menu. There is no forward, rewind buttons on remote. There is circular button which skips 10 sec forward or backward when right/left keys are pressed.
3. OTT apps also take long time to browse their menus compared to FireTV stick. Video quality was overall good for YouTube, Prime Video, Hotstar and Zee5, no buffering observed with my 30 Mbps broadband which is connected through WiFi.
4. XStream box came with High speed HDMI cable. Installation guy had asked me to replace my existing HDMI cable and said it won't work. But old HDMI cable is also working with XStream box. New cable has high speed written on it, so may be new cable is needed for 4K content. Since my TV is 10 years old, and doesn't support 4K, so I guess it should be fine with old cable. (besides I would have to remove TV from wall mounting and replace cable, so I didn't want to change cable).
5. XStream box supports Chromecast and Bluetooth, but I have not checked either of this. Remote can be operated from other room as well, so I guess it works through Bluetooth.
6. XStream box has lots of indicators in front (WiFi, Recording and ON/Standby) along with XStream logo which also lights up when box is ON.

So from the review, it seems that the UI needs some more polishing to improve UX. I am assuming Xstream box has provision to update system through internet.

Reactions: SVK
Yes, box gets updated through internet. While configuring for first time itself, some update was available, and box got updated.

one of the major con is that if you just want to access OTT features and not the live channels, you will still have to recharge the box with the minimum pack. without the recharge balance, the box will simply not work.

another one is that the box is tied to your account. you may be able to sell your firestick in future and get some of your money back but can't sell the xstream box.

Xstream box has a lot of issues.
Lags a lot while opening apps.
Some times apps keep loading.
Boots up very slowly.
Mandatory monthly recharge or else you get locked out of the box.
Not even worth 1500 which I got it for.

I considered Xstream Box in the past. But the mandatory recharge requirement was a major negative. Finally decided to completely switch to Firestick with paid OTTs

Back