Are mobile service providers charging for internet settings?

• Thread starter Thread starter raj2007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 8,224
Try again :p

never happened to me on vodafone. could be a phone specific thingy. i am using a xperia zl. i jus removed my sim n put it back. no money was deducted.

Told you samsung does this :)
I know it because i have received SMS from airtel when i was on airtel about software update which was already delivered to me few months back and that too most of the time inaccurate info.

This is done by most Smartphones these days.
Seems phone manufacturers seems to be having some SMS based application which collects data like IMEI,
and make log when did they first received the SIM Inserted to verify the warranty.
This eliminates people arranging fake bills and claim warranty for more than specified period.
I've seen this in MMX, Lava, Samsung and a few more, although all were running Android OS.
IIRC, If you reset the phone this would happen again.
I am quite sure OP was charged for this log thing, and not the Internet Settings.
And ya, you don't have control over it, unless you root the phone before inserting a SIM and remove the APP which triggers this.

I keep main balance zero and only buy minutes and seconds through vouchers/plans.
Hence never such things happens to me !
There is an option.... just change the message center number to avoid such charges of sms.

Back