Are Tata/Airtel backbones congested right now?

• Thread starter Thread starter sumantrab99
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 3,758
ISP
Current: Airtel Xstream Fiber
Past: Meghbela, Siti , Hathway, GTPL, Speednet
For the past two weeks, all the ISPs in my location (Kolkata) who use TATA/ Airtel as their upstream provider is providing slow download speeds to all the customers, especially from 6 pm to 12 am-midnight.

The download speed gradually starts to increase post-midnight. Also, only download speed gets affected during this time, not the upload one, which is pretty self-explanatory given the fact that most of the traffic is downstream.

Affected ISPs (confirmed by me):

1. Alliance Broadband
2. Wish Net
3. GTPL KCBPL (GTPL's Kolkata Division)

Peered traffic speeds are stable during peak hours (Google/Youtube, Torrent, etc.)

Same is the case with ACT which uses TATA for back-haul. The upload speeds are fine, but download speed decrease during office timings.

I thought fiber backbones are capable of providing Tbps+ speeds. How come during this lockdown period when there's a traffic surge, it is unable to do so?

Tata/airtel are not congested And most likely will not be in the near future.
The problem is the customer ISP which buys bandwidth from airtel/Tata. The bandwidth which they have bought from upstream is being choked, unless act updates and asks for more bandwith it won't be solved. Most likely act won't do anything if they don't get enough complaints cause it's only for a few hours that too due to lockdown more people are at home and hence they see this as a short term problem.
You can try a VPN which has server in India, so that you can max out your speed.

After seeing so many post and review in this forum, always go for tier 1 FTTH isp if its available in your area. almost all tier 2,3 isp's have backhaul bandwidth problem (overselling connections)

@achaudhary997 I've been thinking the same too recently. These small-time ISPs buy small bandwidth from Tata/Airtel, and then go on overselling the connection. They peer with some cheap IX, thinking that will take care of most of the traffic. This results in poor performance from all non-peered sites and international servers.

Jio is available in my area, however, it is not for me. I use a static IP for my home server and buying the same from Jio is not an option at the moment.

I've been thinking the same too recently. These small-time ISPs buy small bandwidth from Tata/Airtel, and then go on overselling the connection. They peer with some cheap IX, thinking that will take care of most of the traffic. This results in poor performance from all non-peered sites and international servers.
Ha ha.. it's like buying a N-band (2.4GHz) router and using it with 50 devices.

By the way, I have also been suffered by a somewhat similar issue just recently, as I didn't have the internet connection from 10 pm to 10 am (next day morning). And this was for the Rest of Bengal (not Kolkata area). The green light on the ONT indicating "Link" was glowing perfectly but the Internet was dead, then I assumed that there might be going some maintenance. And it happened for 2 days with a week gap.

Last edited: