• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 3,056

amish

Star gazer
I got banned!
ISP
MTNL Mumbai BB_600 @12mbps
I havent bought any computer since 2009. So I am highly outdated.

I have been using my laptop since 2009 and it is showing signs of dying.

I already have a spare Monitor and Keyboard and a PS/2 mouse and external DVD drive.

I do not want hi-fi desktop. i3 or i7 is enough.

If I want to assemble a desktop myself, what do I need to buy?

CPU Box (which one? I have old iBall one, will it work?)
Motherboard (which one should I go for?)
Processor (which one should I go for?)
RAM (which brand? what specifications?)
Powersupply (which brand?)
Harddisk (is seagate good? what RPMs?)

Is that all? What would be cost of each?

I do not want that I purchase above and later find out that I missed a critical component!

I have never assembled a PC myself but I am willing to go for it.

Cannot find any reference on AMD website. Iirc there's no Zen2 CPU with built in GPU, apparently due to lack of space on the die.

Zen2 APUs are coming soon (CPU with built in GPU) - there are leaks of an 8-core part 4700G on reddit/youtube etc.

Upvote 0
@vishalrao
I totally agree with you as the OP is saying that the build is for casual user.
It would save him few bucks which can be used for better PSU.
Also,Overall cost would come down.
Remember to get highest frequency of RAM possible in Dual Channel configuration if you intend to use Integrated Graphics.

Upvote 0
Will it work with new motherboard? i.e. will new motherboard fit in it?
It should. You could upgrade to mb of same size. Most home PC motherboards usually are micro Atx size.

I read somewhere that i5 does not support hyper threading. I use Linux and I would like to run windows inside virtualbox. Will it work on i5? If yes, then I would pick i5.
Reg hyperthread - i5's now are 6core 6thread. Modern i5 should be fine for using VM's. Hyperthreading may help for some case with high CPU usage like video editing etc. For HT at 6C 12T, i think the ryzen 5 3600 is better budget option, vs the i7.

I plan to go for 16gb. Or is it unnecessary? May be 8gb is fine too. (my current ram usage is < 4GB but i dont keep too many applications or firefox tabs open.)
regarding RAM... A win 10 OS, with a debugger, a couple of pdf's open etc slowed down my 4GB laptop to an unusable crawl before RAM upgrade. (Linux tends to be much more efficient with RAM / paging etc. You can even manage with 4GB.) So, while you may be able to manage with 8, its best to get 16Gb when using VM's.

What is fin? I have no idea about it.
🙂 Ignore that comment. Some enthusiast people buy much more expensive rams for overclocking etc, which has cooling fins.

Yes thinking about SSD. May be I can use old harddisk for storage and SSD for installation.
Yes. That's ideal.

You have to calculate power requirement too? (did not know that!)
😅 No need to exactly. People when choosing GPU's need to. So that GPU power req / no of GPU power pins etc are supported. That being said, its best to get a quality SMPS. Mine from 2015 should allow me to carry it over to my next upgraded build.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not opening another thread but can any one suggest good but cheap Wifi adapter which I can use with this?

I am not interested in high speeds. As of now 100mbps is also enough for me.

Distance of Wifi adapter (plugged to PC) and wifi router would be max 10 m and about 30 ft. (but there will be 2 walls in between)

Currently using laptop at the same place where my PC would be placed and wifi signal is good.

Upvote 0
PCI one is costlier than my Wifi router itself!!! (Netgear router was 999Rs)

My router does not support AC or 5G band. So i don think there is any point in buying!

Upvote 0

Back