Be careful about Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)

• Thread starter Thread starter socrates
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 3,689

socrates

I got banned!
ISP
Jio Fiber. FTTH
Anyone who regularly updates their Win XP SP2, be careful as today there has been another prompt for a security update ‘Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)’. When I installed this, I lost all net connectivity. I traced the cause to ZoneAlarm Pro which was blocking ALL out going traffic L. To get net connectivity back I had to reduce ‘Internet Zone Security’ to ‘Medium’ from the usual ‘High’. So much for an update from Microsoft. Moral of the story. ‘Don’t rush to update your machine immediately after an updates release. :@:wall::@

Internet Zone Security permission slider from high to medium should make it work. This is a temporary fix though.

me too using za sercurity suite but i didn't face this problem!My settings are still on high.

@ mammu Did u install the Microsoft patch which was released today (our time) number mentioned above?@ cool_techie_tvm Yes its only a temporary solution. I may have to uninstall ZaP & tr comodo firewall instead or reinstall ZaP or wait til either of the two companies fixes this bug :wall:

ZoneAlarm SmartDefense Research Center Option 1: Move Internet Zone slider to Medium
1. Navigate to the "ZoneAlarm Firewall" panel
2. Click on the "Firewall" tab
3. Move the "Internet Zone" slider to medium
Option 2: Uninstall the hotfix
1. Click the "Start Menu"
2. Click "Control Panel", or click "Settings" then "Control Panel"
3. Click on "Add or Remove Programs"
4. On the top of the add/remove programs dialog box, you should see a checkbox that says "show updates". Select this checkbox
5. Scroll down until you see "Security update for Windows (KB951748)"
6. Click "Remove" to uninstall the hotfix

ZoneAlarm Pro has come out with an update today, ver (zapSetup_70_483_000_en) of this s/w to overcome the problem mentioned above. After installation u can change back ‘Internet Zone Security’ to 'High' :yahoo:

Back