• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 6,670
Status
Not open for further replies.

rupeshnadar

ISP
TATA Broadband
I am in Mumbai using the Web Interface to connect to TATA Broadband Service.I am planning to buy a Wireless Router, can anyone tell me which is the best Router to buy like Netgear or Linksys or D-Link and also please state the Model No for the same.Thanks,--RupeshAnyone currently using a Wireless Router .. can pls state their make & model no.Thanks,--Rupesh

I also need to know and I am using tata Boradband in New Delhi.

Buy the cheapest one.... choice of router does not matter. Max speed you get on broadband is 2 mbps and any router will work fine up to that speed.I am using Netgear and it has been working well. Just plug LAN cable from TI into one of the LAN ports and connect to it using WiFi. Web login work as usual.

Hi,I tried Netgear WGR614 but failed to even ping the gateway.I have a static IP, I put the same static ip, netmask, gw & dns entries in the Router as I have it configured on my laptop. Changed my laptop lan card settings to DHCP.My Dell Laptop was able to pickup the network, i was also able to ping the Gateway ie 192.168.1.1 as well as my static ip of 210.211.xxx.xxxBut I was not able to ping TATA's Gateway IP of 210.211.xxx.1 Also ipconfig showed my ip as 192.168.1.2, netmask as 255.255.255.0 and gateway as 192.168.1.1 and DNS entries the same that I entered in the Router config.Thats when i thought some issue with this model and probably get it replaced with some other Router model.Any help on this ? Hope some one can guide me.Thanks,--Rupesh

That seems to be the right way and should have worked...What you can try is:1. Plug LAN cable in LAN port (instead of WAN)2. Assign Fixed IP of 210.211.xxx.xxx to your WiFi card and assign Gateway/DNS IPs.That should work.

Hmmm correct me if i am wrong here ...>1. Plug LAN cable in LAN port (instead of WAN)Plug the TATA Cable into the LAN instead of WAN .... ok>2. Assign Fixed IP of 210.211.xxx.xxx to your WiFi card and assign >Gateway/DNS IPs.If i assign my Live IP 210.211.xxx.xxx to the Wifi Card on my Laptop, how will this entire setup work .... sorry but i am a bit confused here.If you can explain in more detail will be good, so i can try it right-away.Preferably stating what settings should be done on the Router and what has to be done on the laptop, without physically connecting the router with the Laptop.Thanks,--Rupesh

Thing is don't use the "router", you need not worry about ANY setting on router, other then basic wireless settings like security.You can use this this device as just a "hub/switch". That is, by neglecting the WAN port. Connect LAN cable to any free LAN port and setup WiFi card with Fixed IP,Gateway and DNS.In other words, you are using WiFi device as just like an extension cable for LAN.

To get wifi going we are going round-about way, does this mean there is an issue with TATA Broadband or is this an issue with this specific Model/Make of Netgear.--RupeshTried as you told but met with failure ... here are the details :TATA BB physical connection connected on LAN port (not WAN port)On Netgear Router ::Enabled DHCP on the routerOn the Dell Laptop ::On Wireless Network CardEnabled IP : 210.211.xxx.xxxNetmask : 255.255.254.0Gateway IP : 210.211.xxx.1What am i missing here ?

This is an issue that happens in TATA network.

Issue is, it uses PPPOE in combination with statis ip. This is something that is not supported by Admin GUI.

BTW, did this way work for you?

What am i missing here ?

Are you able to ping the gateway if you connect LAN cable directly to Laptop?

I connected the LAN Cable to one of the ports on Netgear (again not WAN)I am able to ping 192.168.1.1I am able to ping the static ip 210.211.xxx.xxx (it is configured on Wireless Connection of the Laptop)But i am **not** able to ping the VSNL's Gateway IP : 210.211.xxx.1--RupeshDoing all this basically defeats the purpose of Wireless Connectivity using TATA Broadband, then it's better to physically connect the laptop.--Rupesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back