big tv on pc using DVB-S card (working setup)

ISP
asdf
hello friends,

i spent a lot of time and effort getting Big TV to work on my PC using a DVB-S card and so I wanted to write-up a short howto for the same for other interested folks to refer to.

at the outset, i would like to make a reference to a thread posted here: https://broadband.forum/tata-sky-dth/36117-tutorial-tata-sky-dvb-card-pc/
please go through it first.

Hardware and Software Requirements:
---------------------------------------------------------

the hardware requirements are pretty much the same as in the referenced thread.
the only change in the software requirements is that you need to use a different CAM emulator setup in case of Big tv. I am listing the setup that worked for me:

My CAM emulator setup consists of two software:

1) newcs (new card server) version 1.65 - this is the piece of software that talks to your smart card for getting the Control words required to decrypt the channels.
this is a command-line windows program but don't let that turn you off.

2) Wincsc (version 1.2.0) - this is the piece of software that talks to the newcs server to get the control words. this is a plugin that can be used with most of the common DVB viewers around. Check the documentation of your viewer on instructions on how to use external plugins like wincsc with the viewer. Generally, you only need to drop the plugin dll file and other files like configuration files into the plugins/ folder where your viewer is installed.

pretty much everything else is common for the setup required for Tata Sky cross referenced above.

PS: Hint: on Big TV, there is a channel called Gyan Darshan which is broadcasted free and you might want to first verify that you can at least view this channel before jumping on to be able to watch the other encrypted channels.
For viewing Gyan Darshan, you do not need any CAM emulator setup (the two packages newcs and Wincsc listed above). All you need is just a DVB-S card, a DVB viewer program and you can start watching the channel.

hello guysu just need prog dvb professional version which support AAC audio provided by BIGTVno other software can figure out the BIG AUDIO ...so PROG DVB professionla is onli one which can support AAC-LLC audio formatn for plugin u can use acam newwer version..i dont which one is out nowif we use newcs + newcamd we need aa PMT file to describe ausio n video PID's OF channels///so use acamd + progdvb + bigtv legal subcription card in ur card reader....\or u can use DVB-S2 not DVB-S...HIGH DEFINATION { MPEG4/H 2.34 or AAC/AC3 audio }satellite receiver....with seca(mediagurad or nagra cas)ok g fer....enjoy legal subcription card...bbye

as a follow up to the original post, i wanted to dump out the very two important configuration files, one for newcs and one for Winscs. this will help anybody who is trying to configure these two pieces of software. you should of course go through the readme's included with these, but it is good nevertheless to have an example working configuration that i am using:

1) newcs version 1.65

the file is newcs.xml; it may not exist by default and you can dump the contents below into a new file:

Phoenix on Com1
phoenix
COM1
none
normal
Yes
Yes
No
No
No
Yes
no
Yes
round

Yes

yes

newcs
newcs
admin

NewCSpwd
simple
internal
all
console,tcp
normal,init

Yes
newcs
01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14

dummy
dummy
on
off
No

no
myShares

remote
myname
mypassword
myShares

myname
mypassword
myShares

2) Wincsc version 1.2.0, build 2483; please note that the build number may not be so important, but i suggest the main program version be >= 1.2.0

there are two files, WinCSC.cfg and WinCSC.ini, both are dumped below:

WinCSC.cfg:

[SERVER_00]
Name=localhost
Host=localhost
Type=0
SKey=0102030405060708091011121314
User=dummy
Pass=dummy
Prio=0
PVer=1
Ports=1
P00_Port=10002
P00_Emms=0
P00_Prio=0
P00_Skip=0
P00_Info=
P00_CaID=0100
P00_Prov=FFFFFF,

=====================================================

WinCSC.ini:

[Settings]
Enabled=1
ServerSearch=0
ServerGroup=1
TcpConnectTO=5000
TcpReadBufTO=5000
KeyQueryTO=5000
LoginTrials=2
KeyAskTrials=2
StayOnTop=1
ShowProvGBN=1
ShowSrvPrio=1
TryNextServerL=1
TryNextServerK=0
IrdChIdFilter=1
MaxSuccErrs=3
AutoProvID_01=1
AutoProvID_05=1
AutoProvID_06=1
AutoProvID_0D=1
AutoProvID_18=1

[Proxy]
UseProxy=0
ProxyAuth=0
ProxyVers=0
ProxyHost=
ProxyPort=1080
ProxyUser=
ProxyPass=
[TWinCSC_MonitorForm]
FormVersion=0
Flags=0
ShowCmd=1
PixelsPerInch=96
MinMaxPos(1024x768)=-1,-1,-1,-1
MinMaxPos=-1,-1,-1,-1
NormPos(1024x768)=395,74,870,501
NormPos=395,74,870,501
Visible=1
NsSplitterEcmPanel_Maximized=False
NsSplitterEcmPanel_Minimized=False
NsSplitterLogPanel_Maximized=False
NsSplitterLogPanel_Minimized=False

just create/replace these files on top of the existing ones and you will have no configuration to do. just watch that the COM port is the correct one, the configuration file above for newcs uses COM1, but if the card reader is attached on a different port, change it accordingly.

Also, as I suggested before, the best way to start testing is to see if you can first get to see Gyan Darshan, this channel is broadcast free on Big TV and you *DO NOT* need newcs or WinCSC or a phoenix smart card reader to view that channel. But at least that experiment will tell you if your dvbviewer and codec configuration is okay or not.

So, in short, use Progdvb Professional version (trial version) and try to watch Gyan Darshan first and build up some Gyan before delving into being able to watch encrypted channels, and remember, this setup will only allow you to watch the channels that you have officially subscribed to. to watch stuff for free is out of the scope of this howto.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

hello guys
u just need prog dvb professional version which support AAC audio provided by BIGTV
no other software can figure out the BIG AUDIO ...
so PROG DVB professionla is onli one which can support AAC-LLC audio format
n for plugin u can use acam newwer version..i dont which one is out now
if we use newcs + newcamd we need aa PMT file to describe ausio n video PID's OF channels///
so use acamd + progdvb + bigtv legal subcription card in ur card reader....\
or u can use DVB-S2 not DVB-S...HIGH DEFINATION { MPEG4/H 2.34 or AAC/AC3 audio }
satellite receiver....with seca(mediagurad or nagra cas)
ok g fer....enjoy legal subcription card...bbye

1) yes, there are alternatives to newcamd and WinCSC, and some of them require even more configuration, like you mentioned in the case of newcamd. I have not tested anything other than newcs and Wincsc, so cannot comment about how much configuration is required for them or how good they work. If you have a working setup with some alternative combination of software, please mention your CAM emulator setup along with the associated configuration files so that not everybody has to waste hours trying to figure out the right configuration.

2) DVB-S2 cards obviously support DVB-S also, Big TV will work fine with any of them. Big TV is transmitted as a DVB-S transmission.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

hi all,

Another Hint for codec problems:
--------------------------------

to avoid codec problems altogether, you can choose to just record the channel as it is to a file and open that in VLC. VLC already has built-in codecs for almost everything and you can fix the codec problems later.

To record a channel stream in progdvb, select a channel, open PID recorder (if you do not find PID recorder, you may not have selected the PID recorder during progdvb installation; in that case, reinstall Progdvb and choose to install PID recorder too, PID recorder is accessible from the progdvb menu itself.), choose "selected pids", click on "get channel pids" to automatically all the right pids for the current channel and start recording.

The recording will be a file with a .ts (transport stream) extension. Just open the file in VLC and VLC will not have any problems playing the recording.

hey u can use prog dvb pro ...no need to record the programs u can just watch live ..im watching it ..if anybody help ..im here...reaply me anytime

hey u can use prog dvb pro ...no need to record the programs u can just watch live ..im watching it ..if anybody help ..im here...reaply me anytime

yes, but i had a bit of a harrowing time with getting the proper codecs. so here's the deal with the codecs:

1) you need progdvb professional, the standard version cannot be used.
the standard version is free, and the professional version is a trial time-limited version.
2) you also need to install the Elecard AVC plugin for Progdvb here: Elecard Group - Elecard AVC PlugIn for ProgDVB - AVC, AAC, ProgDVB, satellite tv
The package includes both audio and video codecs. This too is a trial time-limited package, but highly recommended until your setup is fully functioning.

After installing the above two, go to Progdvb->Settings>Options and on the video tab, make sure "Elecard AVC Plugin" is selected for the H.264/AVC plugin entry. Similarly, on the audio tab, make sure the "Elecard AAC Plugin" is selected for the "AAC" entry. Don't be fooled, there's another entry called "Elecard Audio/Video decoder" in the audio/video tabs, but they are not the correct codecs. They are probably MPEG2 codecs which are not useful for Big TV reception.

Another hint, if the "Enhanced Video renderer" in the video tab does not work, try the entry dubbed "VMR-7".

Good luck!

hi,

i understand that you are using some other CAM emulators in your setup.
you mentioned acamd before. But that is only a card server I believe. you also need a client piece which is basically a plugin in progdvb. which one are you using? Yankse is one. Are you using Yankse? Basically, I want to know what are you using instead of newcs + Wincsc?

It would be great if you can dump out the configuration files to the forum.

thanks,
-mik

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8102/bigtv.jpg%20http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1984/bigtvaudio.jpg%20http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1865/bigtvvideo.jpg
look at pictrue hope they helpfull

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8102/bigtv.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1984/bigtvaudio.jpg
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1865/bigtvvideo.jpg

hey look at ma pictures..it will help u guys to use big tv

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8102/bigtv.th.jpg

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1984/bigtvaudio.th.jpg

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1865/bigtvvideo.th.jpg

thnxx b bye

how can get all these stuff in the market????? whom to ask for purchase?

Hi Guys,Those of you who got it working, were you able download the EPG off the satellite signal?Is there anyway of getting it working with MediaPortal?

Back