big tv on pc using DVB-S card (working setup)

my guess is that the EPG on Big TV is transmitted on two different streams.the first stream is a standards-compliant EPG data which Progdvb and other are able to parse without any additional plugins. However, this stream contains only very minimal EPG data; for most channels, you will be able to see the currently playing program and the next one or two programs scheduled.The other stream I think contains data for upto 2 days of scheduled programs; but Progdvb is not able to "see" that EPG data maybe because it is in some proprietary format (OpenTV or something else?).I know for sure that there is at least two-day EPG data available at any time because you can check the same using your Big TV STB. In their help channel, Big TV claims that they supply 7 day EPG data in advance, but I was disappointed to see that the STB showed up only 2 days of EPG data.

Hi all, The EPG data is usually transmitted in PID 0x12, it carries EPG info all the channels. using vdr i am able to get the EPG info upto 4 to 5 days.(While running VDR it saves the EPG data of all the on to a file), which it uses later to display.Anyways, i need you guys help in setting up phoenix smart card reader. I am using a Debian OS with kernel 2.6.28.2, DVB-S2 card is set up and is working fine. I am able to watch the FTA channels on VLC. But i am not able to watch paid channels , since they are scrambled. Could you guys help me setting up my phoenix smart card reader. All the above post are for windows OS. Sun uses irdeto for scrambling of the channels. Thanks

Hi all,

The EPG data is usually transmitted in PID 0x12, it carries EPG info all the channels. using vdr i am able to get the EPG info upto 4 to 5 days.(While running VDR it saves the EPG data of all the on to a file), which it uses later to display.

Anyways, i need you guys help in setting up phoenix smart card reader.

I am using a Debian OS with kernel 2.6.28.2, DVB-S2 card is set up and is working fine. I am able to watch the FTA channels on VLC. But i am not able to watch paid channels , since they are scrambled. Could you guys help me setting up my phoenix smart card reader.
All the above post are for windows OS.
Sun uses irdeto for scrambling of the channels.

Thanks

google for "soft cam plugin vdr linux" and you will find links to a vdr plugin that you might have to grab the sources for, and manually compile it.
that plugin may not be included by default in your distribution repositories.
check the README file for the plugin for more details.

please note: My phoenix reader does not enter phoenix mode by default, I have to run a small utility (supplied by the vendor WB Electronics) to put the reader into phoenix mode and activate its serial port. You will need some usb sniffing if you need to get your setup working on linux with these kind of smart card readers. So the moral of the story is this: if you need to run something on windows to activate phoenix mode on your smart card reader, then it might be more work to get the setup working on linux.

Thanks, My card reader is running in the phoenix mode. i am using nftytool-1.1 to run the card in the phoenix mode, after running this nftytool the red light on the box starts glowing. I am using newcs for reading the card. I copied the newcs.xml configuration you had posted and i run the newcs newcs.i686. This is what it outputs,

TCP-log password is enabled, set to: NewCSpwd
level: internal
type: all
output: console,tcp
logger config: level 1 type 255 output 5
Console log options: level 1 type 255
tcp port: 1001
TCP log options: level 1 type 255
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Box detect ] Box type 1
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Config ] Option for device 0 (Phoenix on Com1) not present, defaulting to NO
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Config ] Option for device 0 (Phoenix on Com1) not present, defaulting to NO
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Config ] Option for device 0 (Phoenix on Com1) not present, no static sids added to filter
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Config ] /dev/ttyS0 ECM priority: round
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Newcamd ] Server name : newcs
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Newcamd ] Des key : 0102030405060708091011121314
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Newcamd ] User 2: dummy, Pass: dummy, Host none, Port: 0, Au: On, Spider allowed: No, Sidoverride: No, level: 1
[ 11:07:29 ] [ EMM Cache ] Initialising Cache with 20 entries
[ 11:07:29 ] [ ECM Cache ] Initialising dynamic Cache
[ NewCS ] Process ID is: 4183
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Loader ] Reader type 2 on node /dev/ttyS0
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Phoenix ] Opening device /dev/ttyS0
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Phoenix ] Setting Parity to: NONE
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Phoenix ] Setting Baud to standard 9600
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Phoenix ] Normal RESET on node /dev/ttyS0
[ 11:07:31 ] [ Loader ] Unknown card
[ 11:07:31 ] [ Loader ] Trying Irdeto (T=14)
[ 11:07:31 ] [ Loader ] Reader type 2 on node /dev/ttyS0
[ 11:07:31 ] [ Phoenix ] Opening device /dev/ttyS0
[ 11:07:31 ] [ Phoenix ] Setting Parity to: NONE
[ 11:07:31 ] [ Phoenix ] Setting Baud to custom 5713
[ 11:07:31 ] [ Phoenix ] Normal RESET on node /dev/ttyS0
[ 11:07:33 ] [ Loader ] Init Irdeto card
[ 11:07:33 ] [ Phoenix ] Setting Parity to: NONE
[ 11:07:33 ] [ Phoenix ] Setting Baud to custom 5713
[ 11:07:33 ] [ Keyman ] Adding key D2618D type 0 on Provider 0 for caid 0649 ID=0
[ 11:07:33 ] [ Keyman ] Adding key 15A998 type 1 on Provider 0 for caid 0649 ID=0
[ 11:07:34 ] [ Keyman ] Adding key FFFFFF type 1 on Provider 1 for caid 0649 ID=1
[ 11:07:34 ] [ Keyman ] Adding key FFFFFF type 1 on Provider 2 for caid 0649 ID=2
[ 11:07:34 ] [ Keyman ] Adding key FFFFFF type 1 on Provider 3 for caid 0649 ID=3
[ 11:07:34 ] [ Loader ] Card 0649 on port /dev/ttyS0 ready
[ 11:07:34 ] [ Loader ] Starting Newcamd Server on port 10002
[ 11:07:34 ] [ Loader ] Starting Radegast Server on port 10001
[ 11:07:34 ] [ NewCS ] Ready to GO! :)

Should i use any other application like Wincs what you have mentioned for windows application? Is there any similar application for linux? Actually i am playing the video on VDR application. i am trying to stream the singals to VLC and play in it. So i need to descramble the signals.

I tried playing directly on VLC but only FTA channels are being played, How do i play non FTA channels on VLC directly?

Thanks,

----------

hi I am using libvdr-sc.so.1.7.4 plugin along with vdr, but when i try to stream to VLC it is not playing, on the message window of the VLC i get a warning message saying
Invalid header received, this i assume because the channel is scrambled.

Thanks,

Thanks, My card reader is running in the phoenix mode. i am using nftytool-1.1 to run the card in the phoenix mode, after running this nftytool the red light on the box starts glowing. I am using newcs for reading the card. I copied the newcs.xml configuration you had posted and i run the newcs newcs.i686. This is what it outputs,

TCP-log password is enabled, set to: NewCSpwd
level: internal
type: all
output: console,tcp
logger config: level 1 type 255 output 5
Console log options: level 1 type 255
tcp port: 1001
TCP log options: level 1 type 255
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Box detect ] Box type 1
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Config ] Option for device 0 (Phoenix on Com1) not present, no static sids added to filter
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Config ] /dev/ttyS0 ECM priority: round
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Newcamd ] Server name : newcs
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Newcamd ] Des key : 0102030405060708091011121314
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Newcamd ] User 2: dummy, Pass: dummy, Host none, Port: 0, Au: On, Spider allowed: No, Sidoverride: No, level: 1
[ 11:07:29 ] [ EMM Cache ] Initialising Cache with 20 entries
[ 11:07:29 ] [ ECM Cache ] Initialising dynamic Cache
[ NewCS ] Process ID is: 4183
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Loader ] Reader type 2 on node /dev/ttyS0
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Phoenix ] Opening device /dev/ttyS0
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Phoenix ] Setting Parity to: NONE
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Phoenix ] Setting Baud to standard 9600
[ 11:07:29 ] [ Phoenix ] Normal RESET on node /dev/ttyS0
[ 11:07:31 ] [ Loader ] Unknown card
[ 11:07:31 ] [ Loader ] Trying Irdeto (T=14)
[ 11:07:31 ] [ Loader ] Reader type 2 on node /dev/ttyS0
[ 11:07:31 ] [ Phoenix ] Opening device /dev/ttyS0
[ 11:07:31 ] [ Phoenix ] Setting Parity to: NONE
[ 11:07:31 ] [ Phoenix ] Setting Baud to custom 5713
[ 11:07:31 ] [ Phoenix ] Normal RESET on node /dev/ttyS0
[ 11:07:33 ] [ Loader ] Init Irdeto card
[ 11:07:33 ] [ Phoenix ] Setting Parity to: NONE
[ 11:07:33 ] [ Phoenix ] Setting Baud to custom 5713
[ 11:07:33 ] [ Keyman ] Adding key D2618D type 0 on Provider 0 for caid 0649 ID=0
[ 11:07:33 ] [ Keyman ] Adding key 15A998 type 1 on Provider 0 for caid 0649 ID=0
[ 11:07:34 ] [ Keyman ] Adding key FFFFFF type 1 on Provider 1 for caid 0649 ID=1
[ 11:07:34 ] [ Keyman ] Adding key FFFFFF type 1 on Provider 2 for caid 0649 ID=2
[ 11:07:34 ] [ Keyman ] Adding key FFFFFF type 1 on Provider 3 for caid 0649 ID=3
[ 11:07:34 ] [ Loader ] Card 0649 on port /dev/ttyS0 ready
[ 11:07:34 ] [ Loader ] Starting Newcamd Server on port 10002
[ 11:07:34 ] [ Loader ] Starting Radegast Server on port 10001
[ 11:07:34 ] [ NewCS ] Ready to GO! :)

Should i use any other application like Wincs what you have mentioned for windows application? Is there any similar application for linux? Actually i am playing the video on VDR application. i am trying to stream the singals to VLC and play in it. So i need to descramble the signals.

I tried playing directly on VLC but only FTA channels are being played, How do i play non FTA channels on VLC directly?

Thanks,[COLOR=\"Silver\"]

----------

[/COLOR]hi I am using libvdr-sc.so.1.7.4 plugin along with vdr, but when i try to stream to VLC it is not playing, on the message window of the VLC i get a warning message saying
Invalid header received, this i assume because the channel is scrambled.

Thanks,

hi,

here is the alternative software combo that i think should work for linux:

1) replacement for Progdvb - VDR
2) replacement for WinCSC - use the appropriate softcam plugin, there is one for VDR that i know exists; here is the link to its README file: https://opensvn.csie.org/traccgi/sascng/browser/sc/PLUGINS/src/sc-src/README?rev=38

Please note, the VDR plugin can also directly work with your smartcard thus bypassing the need for newcs, but since you already got newcs working with your smartcard, you can just use the VDR plugin in "cardserver client" mode. i.e, the VDR plugin will act as a "cardserver client" and talk to newcs which is running as a "cardserver". check the link to the README posted above for more details.

3) replacement for newcs: not needed, newcs works on a lot of platforms, including windows and linux both.

NOTE: the link posted above is for a softcam plugin for VDR, if you wish to use a different viewer, like mythTV or Kaffeine or VLC or your own favorite viewer, you will have to hunt around for a softcam plugin that works with that application. I did not spend time on trying to get the setup working on linux, so I cannot give you detailed steps, but If you do manage to get stuff working on linux, please do post the same here for the benefit of other users.

Also, my strong suggestion is to try and get the stuff working with VDR first, then you can explore the possibility of using some other viewer.

pretty in-depth tech stuff!!! can anybody explain in simpler way or any quicker way to do?

Good to see these discussions going on here guys. Now let me add another dimension to this story. I am going to setup mythtv with opensasc-ng. However, my feed is from D*n networks cable connection (DVB-C) which is encrypted using NDS.My question to you is that whether you need multiple subscriber cards if you want to access multiple channels at the same time. Ofcourse this is assuming that you own multiple dvb-s cards. I have two dvb-c cards and planning to buy an infinity phoenix programmer. My intention is to use the two dvb-c cards simultaneously. Would i need to have 2 subscriber cards and hence 2 phoenix programmers. Or can newcs tune into multiple channels using a single subscriber card.Thanks

My question to you is that whether you need multiple subscriber cards if you want to access multiple channels at the same time. Ofcourse this is assuming that you own multiple dvb-s cards.
Thanks

I cannot answer your question directly but help you give some direction. Have you looked at MediaPortal? MediaPortal (MP) in conjunction with ForTheRecord is a very powerful DVR. I know that MP supports multiple channels to be viewed or recorded simultaneously with one DVB-S(2) card as long as the channels are on the same transponder.

I suggest you read up on MEDIAPORTAL - free media center - Home and For The Record to see if it supports multiple recording/watching/streaming with a DVB-C.

-Srikanth

Good to see these discussions going on here guys. Now let me add another dimension to this story. I am going to setup mythtv with opensasc-ng. However, my feed is from D*n networks cable connection (DVB-C) which is encrypted using NDS.

My question to you is that whether you need multiple subscriber cards if you want to access multiple channels at the same time. Ofcourse this is assuming that you own multiple dvb-s cards.

I have two dvb-c cards and planning to buy an infinity phoenix programmer. My intention is to use the two dvb-c cards simultaneously. Would i need to have 2 subscriber cards and hence 2 phoenix programmers. Or can newcs tune into multiple channels using a single subscriber card.

Thanks

yes, you can watch as many channels simultaneously as you like. newcs is just a card server and it will hand out the keys for any channel you ask it for, provided of course that the smart card gives the keys to newcs. you can connect multiple clients to newcs, even across the network, so you could be watching your favorite show on ABC over mythtv and your friend could be watching something else using progdvb on windows :) this is called card sharing :)

Thanks skoka123/mickeymouse0007 for your comments. My soul is sold out to linux, so i will stick with mythtv. It can too record multiple channels if they are on the same transponder.So, what i need is one phoenix reader, one subscriber card and two dvb-c cards to get two tuners working simultaneously? Am i right in assuming that the job of newcs/phoenix is only to get the keys and not to decrypt the signal. The software CAM does that job. So all in all as long i have a single subscriber card but multiple dvb-c cards i can tune into multiple channels at the same time?

Back