BIG TV to Offer Satellite Internet through DTH

• Thread starter Thread starter designwebgraphic
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 31,354
Well.... How does Wi-Max work? It catches up frequencies to their nearest tower and how does that main tower gets internet?Soon, they will all have "uplink" permission and it will have this facility. Last time when a WiMax tech guy from reliance came at my place... he suggested me to wait till BIG TV launch as the STB has such facility of getting internet and they have such plans too.I too - keep a 1st priority as it gets launched but at the same time i expect BIG too. They delayed a lot (this should launch by Feb this year) and as it got delayed, i expect much more than just a usually DTH. SHUSHUBH - what did you mention as "4 July" ??? hope you might not forgotten to add "2009" :hysterical:

4th July must have been some other date./

Well.... How does Wi-Max work? It catches up frequencies to their nearest tower and how does that main tower gets internet?

Soon, they will all have "uplink" permission and it will have this facility. Last time when a WiMax tech guy from reliance came at my place... he suggested me to wait till BIG TV launch as the STB has such facility of getting internet and they have such plans too.

I too - keep a 1st priority as it gets launched but at the same time i expect BIG too. They delayed a lot (this should launch by Feb this year) and as it got delayed, i expect much more than just a usually DTH.

SHUSHUBH - what did you mention as "4 July" ??? hope you might not forgotten to add "2009" :hysterical:

well hopefully uplinking is allowed soon but i hve my doubts...since 3g is taking so long...while 3g in other countries is so common...there current stb has a input where u can connect a rs232 but that is for connecting to the pc for updates if an update is not possible through satellite...becuase internet cannot be transferred through rs232 cable...though data can be

the main point is, are we going to get cheap and unlimited plans? otherwise it doesnt make any difference in our life.oh on the other note, the waves wud affect our lives!

Well.... if you talk about other countries then (even after people say "India Shining") we are still 5-7 years behind them. They use 3G, most of them buy online, use credit cards, sweeper comes by a car etc etc etc etc............. Satellite internet doesnt come at a same (or less) price as wired broadband but it is even not so expensive (in other countries) - slightly higher than a usual broadband. 3G : (its just that in india - we actually dont need) - do you even do a voice/video conference using yahoo, msn, skype or any other messenger frequently in a day? If YES - for business purpose? If YES - what did you earn (revenue generation) by using a technology (positively usage) - If NO, then why would you like to do a video conference on your phone (may be by paying more to use 3G) and why would you like others to see (to disclose to the others) where actually are you at present? To use 3G, you may need a dual camera phone and same to a person who is on other side as well. Why would you use internet on phone (are you using it with GPRS for hours? if not, why would someone will use 3G for that? rather having a wi-fi zone in future, we can use a wi-fi phone to browse internet without paying any extra penny) Anyway, i am changing a direction here!!! Huhhh.. but surely, i am not against of technology but a (developing) country like INDIA - does it really need people to use 3G (our economy just shakes up/down even by having a slight slow down in US and see the news... people are screaming due to inflation) why would someone not buy few chocolates (or study items) for their kids rather paying for 3G to use internet on mobile in india!!! Anyway, guys.... back to the point - hope BIG comes soon and we can be a lucky one to throw off the cablewala's cables. I will kick them off. (they are the most idiot and irritating business persons in india). God... please save us and send something BIG!

Well.... if you talk about other countries then (even after people say "India Shining") we are still 5-7 years behind them.

They use 3G, most of them buy online, use credit cards, sweeper comes by a car etc etc etc etc.............

Satellite internet doesnt come at a same (or less) price as wired broadband but it is even not so expensive (in other countries) - slightly higher than a usual broadband.

3G : (its just that in india - we actually dont need) - do you even do a voice/video conference using yahoo, msn, skype or any other messenger frequently in a day? If YES - for business purpose? If YES - what did you earn (revenue generation) by using a technology (positively usage) - If NO, then why would you like to do a video conference on your phone (may be by paying more to use 3G) and why would you like others to see (to disclose to the others) where actually are you at present? To use 3G, you may need a dual camera phone and same to a person who is on other side as well. Why would you use internet on phone (are you using it with GPRS for hours? if not, why would someone will use 3G for that? rather having a wi-fi zone in future, we can use a wi-fi phone to browse internet without paying any extra penny)

Anyway, i am changing a direction here!!! Huhhh.. but surely, i am not against of technology but a (developing) country like INDIA - does it really need people to use 3G (our economy just shakes up/down even by having a slight slow down in US and see the news... people are screaming due to inflation) why would someone not buy few chocolates (or study items) for their kids rather paying for 3G to use internet on mobile in india!!!

Anyway, guys.... back to the point - hope BIG comes soon and we can be a lucky one to throw off the cablewala's cables. I will kick them off. (they are the most idiot and irritating business persons in india).

God... please save us and send something BIG!

Well I agree the dual camera feature is pretty useless. I think it would be better to ask Nokia why they put 2 camera's in most of their high end phones.
But i disagree about using internet...3G is amazing. It allows broadband speeds where ever you are. You could be in a car on the road or anywhere. My phone has Wifi and rarely I find places with Wifi. All malls here hve wifi but when for example you are in the car you are unlikely to find WiFi. You can get 3G everywhere but you cant find WiFi everywhere. Another thing is 3G is not for mobiles only...I connect my 3G phone to my PC and experience upto 7Mbps on my laptop through 3G...also sattelite internet is not going to be cheap. It will cost atleast as much as broadband costs in India. I doubt it will be unlimited. THe broadband in India sucks because the unlimited plans are rubbish. In other countries they hve a better network so that they can provide unlimited plans at a cheaper rate. In USA u can get 12mbps unlimited for only $80. But in India if everyone had unlimited everyone would be downloading orrents like hell and the network would crash.

Providing internet connectivity requires a two-way link to be established with the consumer.

A DTH service establishes only a one way link that is from the satellite to the consumer (downlinking). The consumers' DTH dish is not capable of sending a signal back to the satellite. For web browsing, the address (URL) of the website to be visited has to be sent by the consumer to the internet. Similarly, e-mails that are sent out need to be sent into the internet. This 'Return Path' for internet browsing needs to be established by some method other than the DTH link.

Hence a DTH service by itself cannot provide 2 way internet connectivity.

Fortunately, bulk of the data needs to flow from the satellite to the consumer which can be provided at a fast speed (upto 512 Kbps by some international services). In the US, the telephone line has been used to provide 'Return Path' connectivity. Unfortunately, in India, landline telephone connectivity is not present in many remote areas for consumers. Further, Indian landline telephones also bill the consumer for every minute utilised. This pushes up the cost of DTH delivered internet connectivity in India since the consumer pays for the DTH connectivity as well as the landline internet connectivity. In fact, BSNL provides good (upto 2,000 Kbps) speed internet connectivity and DTH delivered internet is likely to be much more expensive.

There are reports that one of the existing DTH operators is conducting trials for DTH internet delivery which will use WiMAX for the 'Return Path'.
WiMAX provides wireless data connectivity for computers, similar to WiFi. However WiFi operates within offices and homes i.e. over a distance of approx. 30 meters. On the other hand, WiMAX operates over several kilometers, similar to a Mobile phone Cell site.

Unfortunately for you, located in a remote area in Meghalaya, you are unlikely to have WiMAX locally. Hence even if the WiMAX delivered DTH internet service is launched, you will not be able to receive this service. Your best bet would be the wait for BSNL to commence its landline based internet delivery.

Not much is known about Reliance DTH's plans for internet delivery. However, ADA Reliance's Group company - RCom has more than 60,000 Kms of fibre laid all over India. Using this Fibre they could provide an intensive network of WiMAX, or any other mechanism for internet delivery. The decision will probably dictated not by what is technically feasible but whether it is economically attractive to put in this investment, particularly for sparsely populated remote areas.

Source: Satellite & Cable TV

Back