• Thread starter Thread starter experience
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 4,161

experience

Nuit incroyable.
ISP
SK Broadband
Ok, I'm gonna buy one of 'em from reliance mall tomorrow.Galaxy S II is out of stock there so thinking of alternatives. I'm not gonna buy online as I need it tomorrow (iPhone dead is the reason).Xperia looks great so does the bold with slim design.Suggestions.

The thing is not about support, the thing is if Samsung considers it important to release an update for its users.With newer versions of Android such as Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, support for better and faster processors and GPUs is being added, but it definitely does not break reverse compatibility. This means even the low-end and mid-range Android phones should be able to run those versions. So its only a matter of how much the company cares about its customers. IMO, they can try and adopt Apple's style of paid upgrades if they think that releasing updates for old phones does not make business sense. I don't know how this would fit into Android's licensing though.All of this does not matter if you are going to root your phone. SGS2 is a pretty popular device now, and even after you run out of warranty for your phone, you can rest assured that you will receive support from communities such as the Cyanogenmod community who like to run the latest and most bleeding edge software on their phones.

Upvote 0
I think the biggest reason that most of these companies like Sony, samsung, htc, moto (ignoring they are bought by google for a moment) do not care (atleast till few days back) about giving updates is because their focus is on new products to launch, and spending too much time on customizing their UIs again for the upgrade may seem not worth the effort as they probably want to encourage their customers to go for their newer products , than keep upgrading their old phones - without any immediate benefit.

Upvote 0
Apple does not charge for upgrades to iPhone. they charged for upgrades to ipod touch due to some law in the US market. and from what i remember they did not charge for ios4 update.

Upvote 0
Considering they have one product (ok you can add the ipad and make it two).. But these other companies are launching products left & right.. Also the version jumps have been more frequent in Android

Upvote 0
Few points based on my observances of having owned all the devices listed here. 1) Galaxy S2 is the only sane choice outside the Sensation today. 1 GB of RAM makes multi-tasking utterly trivial. The large screen is a delight to use. The phone is light, well engineered and thanks to it's rubberized back an utter joy to use. It can hold a massive 64 gb of space (onboard + cheap sd) There is a vibrant community of developers around it and all the major roms, are available for it. Also since it comes with an unlocked bootloader, switching roms or even flashing standard samsung updates is as challenging as learning to breathe.2) I will agree with Sushubh on the Sensation. - If you are not getting a S2, you are getting this. It's basically the S2 with 256 mb ram less and no onboard storage. Really fast and it's bootloader just got unlocked last week. Expect the ROMS to flow. Otherwise outside the iPhone 4 build quality, NOTHING comes close to the reassuring design of this affair3) Xperia ARC- Highly underrated phone. As light as the S2, 4.2 inch screen that's just mindblowing and currently the best camera among all mobile phones, outside the Nokia 12 Mp affair. Slightly hampered by low amount of RAM but nothing bad for casual to moderate use. If this was a dual-core, everyone would be quaking in their boots.4) Blackberry... - Do not touch. The 9900 is based on OS 7 which is not compatible backwards with OS 6/OS 5 apps. Dead. No real reason to get this apart from BBM. Surprised no one mentioned Nexus S.

Upvote 0
Back