• Thread starter Thread starter oldtimer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 0
  • Views Views 10,994

oldtimer

Geriatrix
ISP
bsnl 256kbps home 250 plan
I bought three different BT dongles from different sources.
1. An unbranded blue unit (zapped very soon)
2. Orchid
3. Zippys
The last two came with cds, each having the same filenames. The first time I ran its setup, it installed some (popular) software with a GUI of its own which was good enough for general BT applications, but it removed bluetooth from my control panel. I also started having problems with my Sony Ericsson phone PC suite. Then i read this. My dongles only showed up as "USB demo board" during the detect stage. The manufacturers name did not figure anywhere! (Looks like most of these dongles in the local market are clones!) I just used the name "USB demo board" in the bth.inf file instead of the "kensington" indicated in the above link. The Windows xp Generic SP2 BT drivers worked with both my units. Now my phone software happily uses the blue tooth link for file transfer.
It was quite an ordeal, but exciting at the same time. However, I was surprised to find that there are not many posts on this topic. So i just wondered whether BT is getting extinct perhaps because of the market forces (that may have led to the above situation) and/or the pairing hassles! Is BT for pcs on its way out by any chance? I am keen on BT networking for short term connectivity. That is what brought me into this in the first place!

Back