BSNL 3G: Troubleshooting in T mobile in connecting 3g in laptop using HUAWEI UMG 1831

Hi Everybody! I am using Huawei UMG 1831 for a week. No issues as of now if not considering the disconnection. This happens as follows:The modem remains "on" the blue LED is blinking when there is no traffic. The T-mobile software for connection shows that the connection is "alive" but, the monitor in the system tray goes with a "disconnected' sign. I use to disconnect the live connection purposefully & re-connect to solve this problem.Did anyone has/had this kinda problem? Did anybody knows how to rectify this issue?Please report.Regards.

thanks for your help, I appreciate it. I formatted the XP drive and reinstalled XP on it. The card got detected this time and installed the software. I am able to connect using T-mobile software but now the problem is that the connection doesn't stay on as long as I want it to. After an hour or so speeds drop to 0 and my downloads get interrupted/corrupted. With the wired broadband I used to leave the PC on and it would keep downloading my stuff but here with 3G how do I automate the connection to reconnect when speed is 0? Is there a fix? I'm on Windows 7 now but I can boot into XP safely only after I finish my important work and need the speed. The XP needs to download SP3 and all the windows updates and I have to install s/w. after the format. I'm not doing it because of this problem of speeds dropping to zero after an hour or so of getting connected. This requires me to constantly keep sitting and staring at the PC, windows updates will take 500 odd MB, I'm sure or more. The XP Professional is a legit one while this windows 7 is a trial/evaluation. Has someone faced the same problem and figured it out? Please share your wisdom, then. Regarding what went wrong in the problem earlier of XP not installing the datacard I'm assuming it could be because of the dial-up modem plugged into my PCI slot which I haven't used in years. It could be some COM port conflict which I'm not techie enough to identify. I'd totally forgotten about the internal PCI modem and it never struck me or the guy who came to help me(the one I bought the datacard from and got my 3G connection too) to check for COM port sharing conflicts.Thank-you for the link to the older version of the software. I will install mobile partner after I get a little confident about my new 3G setup as it seems to be more popular with the 3G crowd than T-mobile, :)

Hi Everybody!
I am using Huawei UMG 1831 for a week. No issues as of now if not considering the disconnection.

This happens as follows:
The modem remains "on" the blue LED is blinking when there is no traffic. The T-mobile software for connection shows that the connection is "alive" but, the monitor in the system tray goes with a "disconnected' sign.

I use to disconnect the live connection purposefully & re-connect to solve this problem.

Did anyone has/had this kinda problem? Did anybody knows how to rectify this issue?

Please report.

Regards.

U can try using MDMA with windows dial up, so that you don't need to worry about disconnections. Try the same and see if it resolves the problem.

@Dushie, can you please post a step-by-step tutorial for XP and Win 7 to make a dial-up connection in windows as an alternative to using T-Mobile's s/w.? Also the thing where you mentioned using MDMA or something. Is it possible to install EVDO card on the same machine? use 3G alternately with EVDO (USB one from BSNL)? and vice versa? my father has got the USB EVDO and I have this 3G datacard now.

@Dushie, can you please post a step-by-step tutorial for XP and Win 7 to make a dial-up connection in windows as an alternative to using T-Mobile's s/w.? Also the thing where you mentioned using MDMA or something. Is it possible to install EVDO card on the same machine? use 3G alternately with EVDO (USB one from BSNL)? and vice versa? my father has got the USB EVDO and I have this 3G datacard now.

I don't think you will be able to use 2 modems on one system as there will be driver issue or conflicts, its better to buy a 3g router and use the modem with the router and evdo card with pc.

Link for MDMA :- This will only work with Huawei Cards when using the same please ensure you do not have mobile partner or any other software running which is accessing the modem.

MDMA - a Mobile Data Monitoring Application

To create dial up use the detals posted by Ronit given be below : -
The BSNL 3G data card card gives blazing fast speeds but comes with a downside...It gets disconnected frequently! This way you cannot fire and forget your downloads. It may get disconnected as soon as it see's your back.

There is workaround for this problem. That is to use windows dial-up.

This works for me and should work for you, still DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!. I dont take any responsibilty of something going wrong to your system.

1) I assume that you have installed the bundled software inside the USB 3G data card and you can connect the 3G internet form it AND the device is connected to the system.

2) Open Device Manager. The "HSPADataCard USB Modem" should be listed there. Right click to open properties. In the open window choose the "Advanced" tab. In the 'extra initialization commands:' enter at+cgdcont=1,"IP","bsnlnet". click OK to close the window.

3) From Control Panel open "Network and Sharing Center". From the left hand pane click "Change Adapter Settings". You should see a dial-up connection for your 3G Modem.Right click and choose properties. Select the "General" Tab. In the Phone Number box enter *99# Create a shortcut to the dial-up connection on your desktop. (If not you will have to create Dial-up connection in "Network and Sharing Center". See bottom of the post)

4) Select the "Options" tab make changes as follows :

Check "Display progress while connecting"
Uncheck all others.
Enter "Redial attempts" 99
Enter "Time between redial attempts" 1 Second
Enter "Idle time before hanging "never"

Check "Redial if line is dropped"

Click OK

DONE!
Right Click the dial-up connection and click "Connect"
Your internet should be running now.

Now windows automatically attempts to connects to the modem if line is dropped.

Note: Dont connect through your BSNL software! It should stay running in the background. you may minimize it to sys tray.

[To Create Dial-up connection open "Network and Sharing Center". Click "Setup a new connection or network". Click next. Follow the instructions. Enter phone no as *99# when prompted. Leave username and password blank when prompted.]

hirj..... im also facing the same problem....

i have 2 computers both running xp.... in one computer it detects the modem and directs it to add new hardware wizard and in the other computer it detects and downloads the drivers but not the tmobile software... so im clueless on how would i connect on both the computer.... pls give seperate instructions to for both the computers....

thanx in advance....

krishna.

sent you a P.M bro, check it, may be it can solve half of ur problem.

hi deep.... im having the same problem.... can u tell me how did you go across this thing????

Hi ! I just got a BSNL 3G SIM and a Huawei UMG 1831. I have an existing BSNL dataone broadband with WA3002G4 router connected to my PC's ethernet port. I'm running Windows XP SP3 Professional 32-bit. I'm unable to install the 3G datacard on XP, I have another hard drive with Win 7 Ultimate and when I booted into that, the datacard got detected and got installed. My problem is that it detects as New Hardware Found>Huawei Mobile>Search for Drivers on XP but doesn't get detected and install. I downloaded T-Mobile's software and also Mobile Partner but the datacard isn't getting detected on XP. I pulled out the LAN connection(ethernet connector) to my dataone router's wired broadband and tried connecting to all of the 4 USB ports at the back in XP but though it detects the hardware and searches for drivers, it doesn't install. Can somebody please help? Has anyone else faced this problem? The Win 7 is a trial/evaluation version and I need the 3G to work on my XP. I have already applied for disconnection of the wired broadband plan so I need to get the 3G datacard working in XP. Please, Please, somebody help me !

hi guyz.. im in dire need of help. i need help regarding umg 1831. some prob has arisen and the speed has got extrememly low. lower than a 2g. its some issue regarding connecting thru MP or a windows dial up connection. earlier whn i installed i used only MP to connect and dial p was no issue. but later in some thread here someone recommended to use a dial up connction to stay connected. so i set up a dialup connection too. now both r asking me to connect and if dont connect to both of them, i cant even open a page. also no facility to make a a cal , or recieve or send sms, or make a video call. and no torrent speed at all. the green mark at the bottom does not come and only a redexclamaion mark saying no incoming connections. plz help me! :(

Back