BTcache torrent caching banned by the government?

ISP
BSNL Broadband
I use Orange City Broadband in Nagpur, earlier on popular torrents I used to get a download speed of upto 5 MB/s, but recently it has been down to 256 KB/s so I called their office and the person in-charge told me that all torrent caching services have been banned by the govt. Is anyone else experiencing this as well?

lol.

couldn't resist to be honest. i do not see how government can ban torrent caching services while still allowing content distribution networks which are essentially the same.

while it's true that btcache services were always going to be a problem wrt law because ISPs are essentially storing pirated content in their data centers... i had assumed that since these services are used by smaller isps, it would not be a big enough deal for a while. plus i assume that btcache ips were only visible to consumers on the ISP's own network so they should be fairly isolated from the open web.

Though Piracy/torrents are illegal in India, I do think that its a far too advanced step for the govt. to take, which makes me question whether they actually did it. I think my ISP just got scared and backed out to save itself from legal troubles.

i am not sure why people think that we are far away from a scenario where illegal downloads would get anyone in trouble. it's not the government which would come after you. it's the content companies like movie studios which would come after you. through courts.

Back