Can BSNL wa3002g4 be used as a switch

• Thread starter Thread starter Sudar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 6,669

Sudar

ISP
BSNL
I have a BSNL Wa3002g4 router, which I am not using. I am planning to use it as a switch to convert my wired connection (from Tata Indicom Wimax) into a wifi connection.

I need to know whether this will be possible using this router. Has anyone tired to this before?

Update: Yes, it is possible. I have documented the steps I took to configure it in my blog so that it is useful for others.

YES is the answer. You need to login to the modem, disable DHCP and make sure that both the bsnl wa3002g4 are not having the same ip address.

After the settings are done, you can connect the ethernet from Tata to your BSNL Modems Ethernet and then acccess it on wifi.

This will work.

To access your service ; ( Only in IE)
https://121.242.43.226/cgi/login.php
====================================
Normally the Rj45 from the ADSL modem is connected
to WAN/Internet Port of a Wireless router.
Then from Lan1 a rj45 goes to desktop ethernet port.
All laptops surf in wifi mode ( having Wireless Lan cards )

WA3002-G4 is a 3 in one adslmodem/router?wifi
model. and does not have the above input port.
So you have connected to LAN1(input) and Lan2 output) .
This is effectively a switch connection.
( never came across switch acting in WIFI mode )
Whether WIFI will work , to be confirmed.

from this forum's old thread. In Search Box : Tata Wimax

^^I have the same wireless router (* not wa3002-g4)
that i'm currently using with my tata wimax connection.

The first time i got my connection, knowing that
it was going to need dhcp i connected the cable which comes
directly from the dish into the WAN port and proceeded
by enabling dhcp on the router side as well as my
Windows system and let the router take care
of assigning IPs to which ever device requires connection.

I've also configured the wireless settings and used a 128bit WEP encryption.
Just 3 months ago i switched to their postpaid
1Mbps plan which offers a static IP, and as soon as
i got the IP details i entered that into the router's
STATIC settings and left dhcp mode on, on my Windows machine.
So far to this day, i'm able to use a laptop and a PS3 all
connected either via LAN ports or wirelessly.
Hope this helps you.

Thanks Ajay and essbebe.I will try it out and let you all know whether it works.

@ajayJPPlease confirm the wifi router you tried was Utstar WA3002-G4. If not , please give router's details.

I have tried with an UTStar given by Reliance I am not sure of the model number though. The other one I have tried and the model number I remember is Beetel 220BX1. This should work fine with any modem. Maximum an issue it can come up is that the DHCP from the primary modem might not be relayed when a wireless modem is connected as a switch. You might have to assign a static ip otherwise all should work fine.Things to be taken care on this configuration - DHCP on the Wifi Modem acting as a switch should be DISABLED and DHCP.- Local IP Address of Wifi Modem Acting as a switch and the actual modem should not be the same ( i.e both should not be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254). Change the ip address of wireless switch device to a different one on the same range.- Ethernet from Actual modem should be connected to LAN Ports on the Wifi Modem. -------------

Ajay and essbebe i have a problem while connecting more than 1 pcs to my WA3002G4 in PPPoE mode .only one pc at a time is working . while 1st is working and i connect the 2nd, either the 1st or the 2nd wont work.but while i use only one at a time it works fine...the same is the case with wireless mode also .while i am connecting it to a pc through wire and laptop in wireless only one is working...so i cant use them simultaneously....so plz suggest some solutions to this ...or is there any modem configuration relted issues:huh:

@/harishmahakud/
while i am connecting it to a pc through wire
and laptop in wireless only one is working...
Which one Desktop or Laptop in WIFI mode ?
Confirm you have a BSNL BB connection.

Para two:
If you are using a BSNL connection and WA3002-g4
see this link for detailed settings .
https://broadband.forum/bsnl-broadband/50052-utstar-wa3002-g4-vade-mecum-quick-reference/#post331246
Basically DHCP is to be enabled in the router.
Always On connection
In all desktop/laptop
TCP/Properties
Obtain Ip address automatically.

You can connect 4 computers to LAN1/2/3/4 and in
WIfi any number of Laptops in range
( say within a radius of 30 feet approx )
The Bsnl BB signal is given to WA3002-g4 Rj11 port.

If you need to connect many more computers in
lan mode using a switch, give details.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@ sudar
TaTaWimax+ WA3002-G4 your feedback awaited.
Alos check in TataWIMAX forum for similar threads.
Post details of the PoE ( power over Ethernet ) modem supplied by
Tata.
Can you access its settings. ?

i am using my wireless mode and pc in wiredi am also using a BSNL connection. my PC and Laptop both are from delli have checked my DHCP is enabled some configuration in LAn are 1) enable IGMP snooping is unchecked2) enable DHCP server is checkedwhile configuring WAN1) enable VLAN Tagging is unchecked2) retry PPP password on authentication error is checked 3) bridge PPPoE frames between WAN and local ports is checkedin N/W address translation settings evry thing is checked

Back