• Thread starter Thread starter socrates
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 4,896

socrates

I got banned!
ISP
Jio Fiber. FTTH
Bought a laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I have a peculiar problem that when I stop transmitting the SSID from my Linksys WRT54G WiFi router this Acer laptop cannot connect to the internet even though I have selected the check box which allows for connecting when SSID is not transmitted BUT when I transmit the SSID it connects. Laptop Acer 3810TZWiFi router is Linksys WRT54G where MAC filter is usedThe other laptop which is a Compaq running Vista Home Basic does not have this problem and can connect when SSID is not transmitted (been using this for some years) I have done some searching on the net & it seems that many people who use Win 7 have this problem. Does anyone have a solution for this?

this is a weird problem.

i do not transmit SSID on my router. and i connect to it successfully from following platforms:

Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows Vista Ultimate
Windows 7 Ultimate
Mac OS X Leopard
Apple iPod Touch
Ubuntu
Google Nexus One

never faced any problem! i have the same wireless router you have... try with ubuntu live cd on your Acer laptop...

Apart from the above I cant seem to make back up disks, after the first disk it threw up an error. Went to the Acer site for the toll free number was shocked to see this model Acer Aspire Timeline 3810TZ has a recall for machines made before Sept 15, 2009.:wall: of course for another reason & not connected with my 2 problems. How stupid of me to rush to Vijay Sales which offered a buy back yesterday in Mumbai for this laptop :icry::@

On 2nd I got a call from Acer & was told to use the 'Restore to factory defaults' I then went to the dealer "Vijay Sales' where they did the needful & i was shocked to find that my WiFi card was not being recognised. After a few moments of paralysis :frown: I directly connected the lappy to the net thru the RJ45 socket (luckily that worked) & updated the drivers & it started working albeit with the same problem i reported earlier (see above).
Second shocker is I cant find the s/w to start the webcam :@:icry::wall: Looks like the so called factory defaults have screwed up everything big time. So far none of my problems have been solved :frown::impissed:

Can't install my s/w as it might get 'restored to factory defaults' again at the service center when I go there. Deeply disappointed with this purchase. :(

You should try a clean install of Windows 7 after a reformat of your HDD. Most Manufacturers bundle quite a bit of their bloatware/software/drivers/ with the laptop, and I've noticed many a times, they usually cause quite a bit of havoc (Not to mention hog a crapload of memory)I would suggest you format your Hard Drive once you get your laptop back from the service center, let Windows 7 auto update the drivers via Windows Update, and you'll have a perfectly working machine, no bloatware involved.

1.Advising to format a brand new laptop is not a good suggestion.2.The lpatop with a builT WIFI card , or an external card will need Windows 7 drivers to work properly.If OEM supply with preloaded version of O.S, that is what we check up initially, In device manager.3.Removing junk applications easily done with add/remove option.4. Check what you need. then proceed.5. Coming to SSID , my WIFI card is in Adhoc G mode.SSID not selected.When the network is selected , asks for the security key code.6.Take one task at a time.7. for Webcam also new drivers or Firmware upgrade may be needed.Mention laptop model make details. Did you get original Windows 7 Installation Cdor in partition you have recovery mode ?

well the laptop should have its own installer cd that would have all the drivers... he can try doing a fresh reinstall. though windows 7 should detect the lan card just fine. wi-fi cards are sometimes a problem especially the ones made by smaller companies. windows 7 however has worked out well in my opinion. it manages to get drivers for almost every hardware it gets without requiring a driver cd.

2.The lpatop with a builT WIFI card , or an external card will need Windows 7 drivers to work properly.
If OEM supply with preloaded version of O.S, that is what we check up
initially, In device manager.

Have you ever done a Win 7 install? If you would have, you would know quite a few drivers are already bundled in it, and it does a pretty efficient job at finding new ones via Windows Update.

Mention laptop model make details. Did you get original Windows 7 Installation Cd
or in partition you have recovery mode ?

Clearly you havent read the OP's post, as it mentions he has an Acer 3810TZ, which would either have an Intel or Atheros wifi chip.

@Funkatronic I cannot do a clean install as this is a pre installed laptop. My attempts on 28 Feb to create the restore disks cost me 4 DVD's, on 3rd the Acer rep at the dealers consumed another 5 ALL DOWN THE DRAIN (spent 4.5 hrs there) all gave errors. He then rang up the Acer office & was told that this model has a problem with the Erestore management s/w which is used for creating the restore disks. !!! :o

I have just now come back from the dealers after I got a replacement for the Transcend external optical (spent another 3.5 hrs there) drive which was bought along with the lappy (this model does not have a inbuilt drive) on 28 Feb. Today also the system was restored to 'Factory Defaults' with the same result. Exclamation mark in device manager so the Acer rep used a data card to update thru the net and got the WiFi working (just like I did it last time).
Also as mentioned in my last post the Acer crystal Eye application (for the web cam) is not part of the restore as that too was missing after today's restore !!!

The joke is when I look at the drivers which are on the restore partition on the HDD (there is an app for that) I don't see the drivers for the WiFi card, webcam & no user guides (there are 2). :wall::O:@
What can I say to this FU.

This entire experience has put me off. I wish I can assemble my own laptop like I do for my desktop. & to add insult to injury this was a present to a family member :(. I have wasted this entire week on this running around & more in the coming week when I do the chakkar of the service center.

Back