• Thread starter Thread starter thebigg
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 3,097

thebigg

ISP
BSNL
Hello all,

I am new to using broadband. I am trying to configure BSNL connection on my laptop which has Windows Vista and Ubuntu 7.10.

Router: UT300R2U

I have gone through some of the sticky threads in the forum, but nothing has worked. This may be due to my incorrect sequence of steps :( since the information is largely scattered. Can someone list down the steps in sequence (including configuring NIC card etc) on either or both the operating systems?

Thanks,
Gupta

vi$ta?huh?I cant help!with ubuntu ,get 8.10 intrepid ibex ,if possible.open a terminal from the applications menu in ubuntu :then type and enter below lines(after that "$" sign) ,when prompted ,give your login password(nothing will be shown when you type your password) ,press enter then:1) sudo su -2)when you get a "#" prompt instead of "$" ,run :ifconfig ^make sure it showed eth0 as up(your lan card).3) make sure you have installed " pppoeconf " from synaptic manager(in System>admin menu) .Then , run pppoeconf ^this will go through the steps to configure your broadband.4)use "pon dsl-provider" to connect and "poff" to disconnect.^^^^^^Above is ,assuming you are on bridge mode.in pppoe mode ,you need to restart the network in Ubuntu and select "dhcp" as the option.go to System>Admin>network and select the wired network connection and in the property tab ,enable the connection ,allot dhcp as the way to assign ip.then ,on a terminal ,run "sudo /etc/init.d/networking force-reload" -without quotes ,ofcourse!

In Vista. Right Click on your LAN card/ NIC select Properties and Choose TCP/IP IPv4 and select Auto Obtain IP and Auto Obtain DNS. If your modem is configures as (pppoe) as it should be, you dont have to do anything else. If it is in bridge mode, crete a new network connection, give your username and pass and use it to connect.

Back