Configuring Broadband modem for PLC to PLC communication

• Thread starter Thread starter goputwad
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 5,789

goputwad

ISP
BSNL
We want to use BSNL Broad band connection for transferring data from number of remote PLCs to Master PLC for monitoring purpose. The remote PLC/Modem has to continuously write the data in the master Modem/PLC. But remote writing is disabled by default in the modem supplied. I need guidance on how to configure the modem for the above purpose.

But remote writing is disabled by default in the modem supplied.

Mention your modem model/make.

Explain set up local Master and remote location.
VPN or a Port forwarding setup are gonna be needed to get at that PLC. VPN is the most secure method. But if security isn't an issue then the port forwarding method would probably work quite well.

trying to understand the problem.
Assuming some data stored elsewhere to be transmitted to Base ( computer )
via Internet.( remotes can be any number/location ?
say from 20 different locations having Internet facility. >)

The requirement is communication between PLCs under the Telemetry System for monitoring of a major water supply scheme. At present dial up BSNL PSTN lines are used for the purpose of transferring data from the remote stations to the Master. The PLCs at the Remote stations through the dial up modem at their end, dial the PSTN phone attached to the PLC at the Master at Regular intervals and transfer the polled data. (The data are the field parameters of Pressure, Level, Flow etc from the sensors installed at the remote sites). In order to improve the monitoring effectiveness, we plan to switch over to Broadband connection so that the data transfer can be continuous. We have availed two broad band connections - One at master and the other at one of the remote stations. The remote station has to write the data in the Master through the modem at both the ends as being done in the case of PSTN communication so far). But the modem at the Master by default is not allowing the remote modem to access the master PLC. I want to reconfigure the broad band modem at the master to enable the above action. The modem is supplied by BSNL - utstarcom WA 3002G4. The PLCs are Allen-Bradley Micrologix 1100 at both the ends.

We want to use BSNL Broad band connection for transferring data from number of remote PLCs to Master PLC for monitoring purpose. The remote PLC/Modem has to continuously write the data in the master Modem/PLC. But remote writing is disabled by default in the modem supplied. I need guidance on how to configure the modem for the above purpose.

Dear Mr.Dilip, Thank you for your quick and prompt responses. I am basically a Civil Engineer with minimum IT/Electronic knowledge. I would be grateful if you can guide me with more step by step directions.
I am interested in details of port number, and settings to be input while configuring. I am yet to avail a static ip for my broad band connection. As advised by few of my IT friends, I intend to avail a static ip for the master station alone immediately. Do I have to get static ip for remote stations also. The master need not access the remote stations now.

Thank you once again.
Security is not a issue as no control is involved and the system is for data monitoring only. Hence VPN may not necessary. I would like to keep both hardware and recurring cost to the minimum.

Thank you Mr. Dilip, I will get back to you tomorrow after getting additional information from the project engineer of our System Integrator. Thank you very much for your time spared for me. If possible and agreed by you, I would like to contact you through online chat or over phone from my office along with the project engineer at a mutually convenient time tomorrow. Please provide contact details. Gopalakrishnan.P

Dear Mr.Dilip, Thank you for your assistance. I am happy to inform that we have suceeded in establishing plc to plc to communication. We got a static ip allocated. The modem was also changed to allow virtual server settings under the advanced setup NAT. It is working find. The speed is better than that of radio link. We have applied for broad band connection for 10 more remote locations. I take this opportunity to thank you once again - without your detailed step-step by guidance, this could not have been achieved. I would like to thank my cousin, Er.R.Ganesan, in Cisco who was with me and guiding at every stage in the midst of his busy office schedules. The local BSNL DE (Computer) Er.Sekar was also very supportive. He took extra ordinary interest and helped and guided at every stage. I am also grateful to all my contacts and well wishers in BSNL, coimbatore. This is going to revolutionize the design of future telemetry systems in Tamilnadu. Thank you Gopalakrishnan.P

Thank you for those kind words. Wish you all the success.

wel, gopalji's problem was over.But if any one doesn't have static ip, can he/she communicate PLC 2 PLC?:cool2:

There are a no. of ways for PLC to PLC communication. It depends on your requirement and model.

Dear Mr.Biduri, I am basically a civil engineer with minimum exposure to IT and ECE. But, what I have learnt is that all the broad band connections have only dynamic ip, which changes every time a connection is made after a disconnection. If ip is known then outsiders can intrude and hack our systems. Also the Service providers can use their capacity to full extend as not all users will be connected at a time, with lesser number of ips. They provide static ip only for high end plans - BSNL provides static ip only for 3000 Business plan. If static ip is enabled then we can program our own remote installations to connect with the static ip. Hence we need static ip at the receiving end - Master station. In case some control is involved, where data has to flow either way then static ip may be necessary at both the ends Our knowledgeable brethren on this forum may be able to enlighten further on this.

Back