• Thread starter Thread starter manu1991
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 5,879

manu1991

Ancient Philospher
ISP
Hyperoptic
I was trying about the KDE version of sabayon(sabayon mini) and was unable to modify my network settings , i just need to change to a static ip instead of dhcp and get a custom gateway but couldnt find any ? It was easy in GNOME through the connection settings option but i couldnt find anything similar in KDE?Anyone knows how to do that ?

i forget where to do this nowadays gui is everywhere :) but try doing man ifconfig and looking at resolv.conf . or you could try to install (unless you have no net access) knetworkmanager to do your settings.

isnt there a networking setup somewhere in kde menu for settings?

anyways i googled for "static ip linux" and first hit was Linux Tutorial - Linux Network Administration

you can try searching some more...

ill try it by using the config file , it has a Knetworkmonitor but it doesnt let you modify any settings , just view ,i didnt like other parts of KDE too , i guess gnome is good enough for me , i m downloading open SUSE and linux mint right now

note that i suggested "knetworkmanager" not "knetworkmonitor" :) anyways, openSUSE 10.3 with KDE is good. the package management is a bit slow to download/update software but otherwise its the best option for KDE IMHO.for GNOME ubuntu gutsy is the way to go of course. linux mint i never tried (and dont intend to) but a few people like it.in openSUSE all settings are done under its version of control panel called "yast", it comes under the system menu -> administrative settings. inside yast you have many sections/icons some of which are for networking

i downloaded the gnome version of openSUSE :Dbtw is there any other nice distro to check out , i want to download them till my connection is on a roll

i tried gnome opensuse and it sucked. for gnome ubuntu is best.

if you want to download more distros you can visit distrowatch.com and start one by one from the list! :) see the "page hit ranking" section at the right side of the page...

there's pclinuxos, mandriva, fedora, pcbsd (i know its bsd not linux), mepis, debian, slackware, arklinux, vectorlinux, yoper, freespire, knoppix, puppy, foresight etc.

debian and slackware are a bit more hardcore tho :)

if you want to look at the distros without downloading/installing you can checkout the huge screenshot gallery at OSDir.com :: Open Source, Linux News & Software

hmm so at the end of the day i have knoppix , puppy , vixta , sabayon , fedora , mint and openSUSE - im done with linux distros for atleast an year , now ill have to find something else to download

oh you mean manu's profile "OS" list

Back