connecting cable TV to STB

bswaminathan

ISP
Airtel
I'm subscribed to cable TV. The service provider gives some 100+ channels, my TV is a old model one it has only 8channels available beyond this i have to retune one of my channels. also it can accept only RF input alone. so i can't use even a DVD player. My service provider asked me to replace the TV. but I'm not convinced in his reply as the TV is good and my mother used to watch it. My cable provider doesn't provide any STB and no CAS.Now instead of buying TV to fix the RF and channel problem, i just think if i can use a beetel STB or any STB and have DVD player hooked to the video input and cable wire to the antennae input of STB and connect the RF OUT of the receiver to the RFIn of the TV so that i can use a DVD player, i can watch TV, I can scroll channels with my STB remote. It serves for all purposes and i don't have to change my TV.

Do you have Nelco Blue diamond.........If you guys remember what is that.

I'm subscribed to cable TV. The service provider gives some 100+ channels, my TV is a old model one it has only 8channels available beyond this i have to retune one of my channels. also it can accept only RF input alone. so i can't use even a DVD player. My service provider asked me to replace the TV. but I'm not convinced in his reply as the TV is good and my mother used to watch it. My cable provider doesn't provide any STB and no CAS.

Now instead of buying TV to fix the RF and channel problem, i just think if i can use a beetel STB or any STB and have DVD player hooked to the video input and cable wire to the antennae input of STB and connect the RF OUT of the receiver to the RFIn of the TV so that i can use a DVD player, i can watch TV, I can scroll channels with my STB remote. It serves for all purposes and i don't have to change my TV.
Hi,
I am not sure about which STB you are referring to. If you are referring to Beetel STB used for DTH, then you cannot give your cable signal to it, because this STB only takes & decodes signals from satellite.
I am not sure if Beetel has any model developed for receiving cable, because cable signal can be received directly by TV and no need of any STB.
And finally your TV will support only 8 RF channels (even my TV is same), so by normal cable you can only watch 8 channels

In the back side of the STB if you see there is a jack called 'Antennae IN' which is basically RF IN. In this the manual says we can connect the Antennae wire, instead can't we connect the cable TV wire? I checked with Beetel STB model no's 99,101what model of STB do u have, does it have RF out?

then you cannot give your cable signal to it, because this STB only takes & decodes signals from satellite.

I think so too...........RF in is for signals from LNB of the dish and not normal Cable coax

In the back of Beetel STB model SD98, there is a RF In jack meant for Antennae IN, its for roof top terrestial yagi antennae. can't we substitute it for regular cable. anyway the STB is going to scroll the channels and not the TV. so we can use STB remote to scroll the channels. Look at the following picture. I have taken this from the SD-98 manual.

Hi Swaminathan, My STB also has the option, but this input will bypass the STB and go to the TV. You can directly watch the cable as you are doing now using this option. To make the STB understand the channels, you need to have a digital input signal for your STB which is not available in your cable. If you are still not convinced, why dont you get your friend's STb home and try it out. Please let us know the result.

Yep. Even the Tata Sky STB has a similar configuration. The RF out is for tvs not supporting the RCA cables.Actually the idea is quite simple. What is needed is a simple STB which implements a regular television's analog tv tuning and storing capability. Can't figure out why it is not available coz there must be many tvs like this. Am not able to find anything on google and can't think of anything else.I think the best and simplest solution is getting a new set (in spite your old one being good enough). For 5-7 thousand bucks, you get a good tv with cable, dvd player and DTH support. Why do you want to complicate things by getting some STB and connecting various cables and devices to the same?The only other option is getting the tv to the city and getting the tuning mechanism fixed into the set by a technician.

Right Gregory, and you can also opt for external tuners as he is looking just for the tuner/remote feature in the STB.

Back