Credit Card First Timer | Need Guidance

ISP
ACT, Jio, Railwire
Hello, I'm trying to get a credit card for my mother. I tried to apply for an Axis Ace Credit Card (through Google Pay). Even though she holds a high position in a PSU and earns well, the application was declined within a few minutes.
Upon analyzing, I guess it got declined because she has no CIBIL Score and no Credit History. She hasn't taken any loans or credit cards till now. The bank or GPay didn't provide any reason.

1. Do you know any credit cards that is meant for first timers ?
  2. Can I apply for a joint credit card along with me or my dad utilizing our credit score? If yes which CC you would suggest?
  3. My dad and I hold a credit card already, if we get my mother an add-on credit card does that help to get her CIBIL score created?
  4. Any other hacks/tips to get the credit card ?
I'm assuming Add-on credit card and joint credit cards are same. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The only reason I want to get her a credit card is to have a CIBIL score. But credit card requires CIBIL score. I'm stuck with the chicken and egg problem 😂

Last edited:
Bank where she has salary account might work?

Otherwise fd based cc should be doable I suppose.

@Sushubh well it's Canara bank, and canara bank CC are crap. I couldn't find any good cc over there. I would like to keep it as last option 😅

For first timers SBI CC is the best route. Don't apply online, you need to go to a branch and find a SBI CC agent pick a card and he will upload all details including work address and salary. After getting the card same info gets updated in cibil. Once got your salary and office address updated in cibil it will be easy to get CC from other banks without background check

@minuteman so that would need a savings account in SBI ?
And donI need to wait for 30 days as there will be a CIBIL check happened recently by Axis bank when I applied for Axis Ace ?

I mean in the end cards are from third party companies so canara brand doesn't matter. You get a card. You use it. Pay on time and get your credit record and all.

For starters it should be easy to get through. But yeah in other threads here folks recommend starting with sbi through documentation route.

Also why worry about credit score of your mother unless you plan to take a loan in her name eventually? Mom's bank keeps on offering her free card and I have never bothered. It's another thing to worry about.

Go offline and apply with salary slip. If you don't intend to use the card much just don't get it.

For salaried employees that too from a PSU getting a card or loan will be easy when required as the income is easily verifiable. Cibil is just good to have.

Also beware for scam calls if you apply for SBI cards, they leak your data and you will start getting scam calls. Scammers may have info about your credit card application and personal details.

Online applications will get you rejections. If at all some bank where she's not maintaining the balance, issues her a card, the credit limit would be pretty low. (Beware of SBI).

If your mother is salaried, it should be a breeze for her to get a credit card from the bank where she's maintaining the savings or where the salary is being credited. Otherwise, as already stated in the thread, get a secured credit: Credit Card against an FD.

Why not try visit to Axis branch or website and sign up there? Worth a try?

Back