Data Transfer between two remote PCs

ISP
JIO,BSNL
Hi,I want to share photos with my friend total file size is approx 40GB so is there any method to transfer files between two PCs over internet? I know transfer can be done using Skydrive,google drive but I need a method where I can share my drive and my friend can download photos which he needs.

If your option is google drive or skydrive and your plan is more than 40gb. Then you can upload all the files and share folder with your friend. Thus he can download which he needs.

BitTorrent Sync would have worked if you needed to make available entire folder. Your requirement is slightly complicated. Opera once had a feature that offered what you needed. You can install a Web/FTP server on your computer but then you would need to use one of the tools/services to make it work assuming you do not have a static IP. Looking at the amount of data you are talking about, I would just send him a Pen Drive.

If he can select data based on file names... You can create a torrent file of your folder and he can then select the files in that torrent files to download.

40GB is a lot, most free options would not handle that size.

try giving him remote access to your PC and he can pull what is needed.

however in google drive and Dropbox, you can pull files to another account with a single click.

HomePipe was an app that could have worked here. But looks like it's dead and replaced by this:
Home

This looks like something that could work for you. Has a 30 day trial.

I do miss Opera Unite sometimes!

Thanks folks for your valuable feedback. I talked to my friend he don't need entire 40GB so can I share my drive so that he can choose what to download? Yes I don't have static IP.

I think if your friend can get a remote desktop connection to your machine, he can easily access your computer over the network using \\ip-address in windows explorer and can access shared files and folder but you may have to forward ports to allow such access.

If you have time on your hand you can also setup a VPN server on your Windows machine and grant access to your friend to access your private network this again requires forwarding port on your router.

In case you face issue as @chromaniac suggested creating a torrent file is the easiest way to go or you can look in to things like odrive | odrive File Server to setup a cloud share from your local drive

Back