difference between wireless and landline with modem internet

ISP
airtel
Dear Friends, i'm a new member and keen to learn about new internet technology, I checked few websites regarding the difference between wireless internet like Relaince net connect, tata photon, MTS etc .... and telephone landline internet with modem like airtel broadband or tata broadband but I'm interested to know the difference from a practical point of view, which is better for normal user? I have a landline with wireless modem internet from airtel, and my experience is its very slow even though I'm on 256 kbs and they are charging Rs 826/- pm, youtube videos dont load they keep buffering and playing intermittently and its very frustrating to watch. Not only that the wireless modem airtel provided after payment of Rs500/- is as good a useless since the range is only 8-9 feet. I asked them why they're service is so expensive and they told they are among the cheapest in terms of value for money in India and they are the only provider in india to upgrade there speed for customers with fair useage policy for free ...... but as i have no idea about other internet providers I dont know if what they say is true or not. One thing I would like to say in their favour is whenever net is not working and I complained they rectified the problem within 48 hours, but other than this I find the internet tariff very expensive. I'm keen on changing internet service provider and would welcome any suggestions from the knowledgeable members here if there is a better alternative and if i should go for wireless service with usb data card or a landline service with wireless modem. My usage is normal I surf net, download movies, use yahoo messenger, but its mostly surfing Many thx friends .... and thank you to moderators for starting this wonderful forum where people like me can get educated and not fooled by the isp. MBM

Hi,

Don't you see? They're taking full advantage of you or shall I say your ignorance.

You're paying 749 INR + taxes per month for a measly 256 Kbps line. It's 2011 and 256 Kbps is definitely not acceptable anymore.

For the same amount that you are currently paying, you can get a 752 Kbps UL plan from MTNL. For 999 INR, you can get 1 Mbps UL. Reliance wire-line broadband is also an option - 899/999 INR for 1 Mbps UL.

MTNL

MTNL Mumbai - Broadband Unlimited Happy Hours Plan | Unlimited Internet Tariff

Wireless data cards are good only while you're on the go. For stationary residential/office use, stick to wire-line broadband.
If you apply for disconnection @ airtel, you'll get a call-back from their retention team. Don't believe a word they say.

woa!!O.O rs826!! for 256kbps!!! and they said they're the cheapest in terms for value for money!! :rotfl::rotfl: joke!! apart form their customer care...they're one of the costliest ISPs in india!!! as asid by ichaitanya ....u should look into other ISPs plans..!! BTW if u want mobility...say while driving..if u want net..then go for wireless modem....but if u want stable connection..go for landline/fixed connection....moreover wireless connections aren't good for online gaming since they have high ping times!!

thks chaitanya and bobby !! I too thought its rather expensive, recently they sent an email saying upgrade to 1mbs for only Rs200/- more ..... but after reading u guys reply i'm sure there must be some hidden ploy. Well i never really played games much so i guess that would not be much consideration but i'll go for landline connection as u guys recommended. Can either of you tell me if mtnl or reliance is providing wi-fi router/modem and if you guys have experienced a lot of down time and whether its recitified reasonably quickly. thx again guys !!

I have no idea about MTNL's uptime. RCom's uptime is simply excellent, in fact even better than airtel (at least in my case). You can use a WiFi router no matter what ISP you choose. Buy one (preferably Wireless-N WiFi router) from the market instead of buying it from these ISPs.

thanks chaitanya, I guess you must be using relaince, can you recommend a (preferably inexpensive) wireless wifi router model i can buy? and do i also need to buy an adsl modem?Also if i buy my own wireless wi-fi router as suggested by you do i need to tell relaince i want wifi connection or can i ask them for normal wired connection without wi-fi router and configure the wifi myself? MBM

well MTNL is BSNL in my area....had that connection till just 3 months back!! it was stable for me...didnt blacked out once also for the period of 3 months .....but plans were just aren't good for me!! BSNL was offering 2Mbps till 8 GB and then 256kbps unlimited for Rs850(150 free landline calls too) .....and i think BSNL offers wi-fi modem too... a guy in my apartments have it :] and if you get a problem..god help you....those bsnl guys took 15days to install the net after i applied for it!! :C

Back