Discussion on Deep Packet Inspection

ISP
AS17665, Jio5G
Hello,

Since DPI is mentioned a lot of times on this forum let's discuss about it

How can we test it for other ISPs (like onebroadband or Airtel). People who discovered it about jio please help

and what information can ISP collect? I mean suppose they're collection all my packets 24x7

@Lolita_Magnum @_Dexter @sloj @anmolbhard004 it'd be great if you guys contribute something to this

You will find better information by just a web search. DPI is just filtering to block you from accessing certain sites.

DPI is firewall based features, where each and every packet is investigated in detail within each layer.
To identify the real content of every packet and re-build fragmented data into information, DPI is used.

It is enormously process heavy and is often the culprit for massive network slowdowns.

In an ISP network, it is called "middle-boxes".
Previously, DPI was popularly used in Corporate networks, where it was used to sniff out packets that might have leaked corp documents and sever the connection.

You can use apps likes, tracebox or OONI to identify if your network has middle box.
It is possible, if you have a local provider then they might not have it, but for most T1 providers it is compulsory by the government.

Albeit, even before you get an ISP license it is in the documentation, that you are required to record data of your customers/users.

@sloj i did and came across a lot of high level information... DPI is implemented in lot of different ways/protocols and it is very different and difficult also to know whether they're doing this

I'm curious about it because of tech as well as privacy concerns

@Lolita_Magnum thank you so much I'll read and try to see if i can perform some experiments

Back