Does getting a Static IP will help with latency?

• Thread starter Thread starter xvamp
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 4,859
ISP
Bharat Fiber
I been hearing from people that getting a static IP for their BSNL FTTH seems to have helped them with latency to foreign servers (Tokyo, Singapore & Middle East servers). I'm planning on getting a static IP since my connection is a hit or miss, mostly, do you think I should? I game casually but I can't deal with lag. And how to find a good IP range or getting a Static IP in general will fix my latency issues?

Thanks.

BSNL doesn't do DPI so getting a static IP will only help in eliminating the time that is usually wasted on their NAT Gateways which likely isn't much.

BSNL having optimized paths to the networks you want to talk to has a much bigger role in reducing latency to that network than anything you can do on your end to resolve this issue.

@ishanjain28 I've been playing Call of Duty : Warzone lately, and it's alway been a hit or miss. Sometimes I get a game less than 80ms, and most times above 160+ms. And it differs with each IP address, and it's frustratingly pain for me to wait for the right IP for me to game on. Checking with few good people from Telegram BSNL group, they have been reporting that they get good and consistent connection going from dynamic public IP to Static IP. One good chap has took his time to show me his traceroute to few game servers he plays and it was shocking, in all honesty. I mean, he's showed me traceroute to Google less than 10ms, in most cases, whereas mine sits around 30-40ms (roughly). His connection to SEA was around 60ms to 70ms (mine is a hit or miss, and with each IP it's a different case, as said earlier), and he reports he had the similar connection as mine but switching to Static IP has drastically improved the experience for him in overall.

All I ever wanted was one good game where there's no ping spike or packet loss or lag or whatsoever. Right now I have a super terrible and inconsistent connection. As of writing this comment now, my latency varies around 70ms to 100ms in Warzone, but few days later, I'm clueless what I'm gonna end up with. And so, wanted to check whether going from Dynamic to Static will help in my case.

@xvamp It's possible BSNL has better routing for static IPs but there is no guarantee it'll stay that way forever.
My point essentially was, A static IP in itself doesn't do much to reduce latency. It's a different thing if BSNL has improved routes for static IPs compared to their NAT gateways. And there is no way for me to tell if you'll get an improvement by switching to static IP, You'll just have to try and see if it helps.

@ishanjain28 I've been playing Call of Duty : Warzone lately, and it's alway been a hit or miss. Sometimes I get a game less than 80ms, and most times above 160+ms. And it differs with each IP address, and it's frustratingly pain for me to wait for the right IP for me to game on. Checking with few good people from Telegram BSNL group, they have been reporting that they get good and consistent connection going from dynamic public IP to Static IP. One good chap has took his time to show me his traceroute to few game servers he plays and it was shocking, in all honesty. I mean, he's showed me traceroute to Google less than 10ms, in most cases, whereas mine sits around 30-40ms (roughly). His connection to SEA was around 60ms to 70ms (mine is a hit or miss, and with each IP it's a different case, as said earlier), and he reports he had the similar connection as mine but switching to Static IP has drastically improved the experience for him in overall.

All I ever wanted was one good game where there's no ping spike or packet loss or lag or whatsoever. Right now I have a super terrible and inconsistent connection. As of writing this comment now, my latency varies around 70ms to 100ms in Warzone, but few days later, I'm clueless what I'm gonna end up with. And so, wanted to check whether going from Dynamic to Static will help in my case.
i get better pings than u eveytime even without static kek..
kakarot from tg.
try complaining in pg portal maybe something will happen.

Bro we just need to find a guy who's using static ip on bsnl. Make him run all the tracert and we will get answer to your question. I am just another fps gamer who's on bsnl and getting frustrated on everyday my dynamic ip address changes. you can find out that some series of ip's have better routing CS-GO ping fix for BSNL user : IndianGaming from that post.

BSNL doesn't do DPI so getting a static IP will only help in eliminating the time that is usually wasted on their NAT Gateways which likely isn't much.

BSNL having optimized paths to the networks you want to talk to has a much bigger role in reducing latency to that network than anything you can do on your end to resolve this issue.
BSNL doesn’t use NAT

You should NOT get a static IP if you want good latency. You will at least have the option of 2 IP series (117, 59) on a dynamic IP address to chose from by disconnecting and connecting. In my experience, sometimes when latency is high on one, switching to another improves things a lot, but it does not work all the time. But a static IP will not have any effect on latency for sure.

Bro we just need to find a guy who's using static ip on bsnl. Make him run all the tracert and we will get answer to your question. I am just another fps gamer who's on bsnl and getting frustrated on everyday my dynamic ip address changes. you can find out that some series of ip's have better routing CS-GO ping fix for BSNL user : IndianGaming from that post.

If you're on Telegram, I share you the results of a guy with Static IP has provided me with. He's gaming at 70-80ms at SEA servers, and his Gameserverping results are amazing.

Back