Extremely BAD Speeds on BSNL Fiber Connection

• Thread starter Thread starter Realme
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 3,271
Same for me. I've been getting bad speeds.
I don't think it's because of MTU.
I'm getting bad download speeds on IPv4. IPv6 seems to be unaffected.

Same issue here for FTTH 50mbps connection, sometimes the download is 1mbps w/ uploads @50mbps while other time the download speeds are fine while the upload speed is really bad. Basically it's all haywire right now.
The issue started about a a week or two back probably with the BSNL default 61.1...series DNS server going berserk, changed my dns to opendns as that was the best in my location acc to dns benchmark, but since today morning even they are giving a lot of problem. Almost all DNS servers in the benchmark are showing connection drop issues.
Spoke to the LCO he did not have much info but said that it's a Pan North India issue.

Just hoping that the Chinese haven't attacked the BSNL network :P

@harshvkrm not just north it's been effected here rampantly in south too.. The connection seemed okay until yesterday but has haywire on 7th July as you have mentioned. Connection drops and latency increased along buffering on streaming platforms,even though the speeds look okay while running speed tests..

The streaming seems to be working fine for me. But it is the regular browsing and speed of various apps that is an issue. in browsing the internet practically every site is giving the DNS NX DOMAIN error, while the apps are hardly getting refreshed.

Why I am sensing something fishy here is because today morning while logging out of Amazon site, the sign out button was in chinese :p but rest everything else in English. Maybe I am being a bit paranoid but for the time being I have stopped routing all of my sensitive data through BSNL. The major issue with them is that they probably won't even realize something has hit them for the next 1-2weeks. @Ameen

1-2 weeks is of less time.. It could literally months if there isn't a nation wide issue for them to rectify it.
They had speeds issues during month of Feb till April. My connections were down severely for one whole month. 🤦🤦

how to decide optimal mtu for ont?
ont default is 1492, based on that tcp optimzer has set some mtu on my pc

Now I've been moved back to 59 series ip from my temporary stay at 117

Speeds are back , for some international servers it is still capped at 88-95 mbps UL/DL(UL is generally better than DL)

Retransmission rate has reduced from 23.xx% to 2.xx%

With gain of speed i gained some pings too anywhere between 7 ms to 25ms,

Mumbai Pings were 31 ms and now 57 ms (min 40ms)
Chennai ping were 41 ms and now 60 ms
Bangalore +/-10 ms Chennai

DNS Latency:
Cloudflare = Google = 13-16 ms earlier and now 30 ms google and 70 ms CF

Similarly hongkong got +7ms too

Europe: 117 is dream for european pings :(

It seems routes on 117 were more optimized latency wise, they were just thirsty of bandwidth.

Ping to Airtel hosted servers were quite good and far more stable.

EDIT:

I've fiddled around with MTU:
MTU@ONT: 1500
MTU@PC : 1492 (MAX unfragmented MTU for me as tested from PC)
^I don't why speedtest were far better with this settings than the previous:
MTU@ONT: 1492
MTU@PC: 1492

Last edited:

Back