Finally set-up Pi-hole on my network

• Thread starter Thread starter f3rmion
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 101
  • Views Views 19,933
To expand on this I setup my own local recursive DNS Server:

Its pretty good to not have to rely on CloudFlare or Google for DNS and directly get it using root hints. Uncached records are slower than CF or Google (because they themselves cache a ton of DNS records themselves).

To expand on this I setup my own local recursive DNS Server:

Its pretty good to not have to rely on CloudFlare or Google for DNS and directly get it using root hints. Uncached records are slower than CF or Google (because they themselves cache a ton of DNS records themselves).
unbound only works properly if your isp is not hijacking all dns query on thier network sadly my isp does this so ppl like me can only run unbound in relay mode

Depends upon the way you want your pihole device to connect to the network. If you are looking for a wireless solution, you should purchase a raspberry pi zero w from robokits India. If you are looking for Ethernet connectivity, you can purchase something like the nano pi. 512 megabytes of RAM is more than enough for such headless use cases.

You are likely to find more uses of the device so get the one you are comfortable paying for! I currently have a pi2. Would love to get pi4 with 4gb ram.

Thanks for your replies, are there any step by step instructions before installing pi-hole?

from what i remember, the guide on their website includes installing the OS so it should be pretty straightforward. pi is very easy to get started with once you have collected all the components.

for basic purpose this would be more than enough. but if you can get the 2/4GB model, get that. pi has a lot of use cases apart from pi-hole. and after a while, you would realize that you need more performance. you can use it for torrenting, nas and so much more. for pi-hole alone, you can probably get one of the older model and save money.

Back