• Thread starter Thread starter AvidWatcher
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 7,404

AvidWatcher

Regulars
ISP
MTNL 1 mbps Unlimited, Vodafone 3G
Hi all,I happened to converse with a Tata Sky employee (on the payroll of TS and not an agent) today, who had come over to solve a minor technical issue at my house.After he solved my DTH problem, I just asked him a few general questions and spoke about Big TV too. He said that the initial soft launch of Big TV amongst ADAG employees was a flop show, since there are many software glitches within its STB and if it ever happens, the STB is rendered useless. Dont know if this is true, but if any ADAG employee has experienced this...please share the info. He further said that it is a teething experience like any normal company, so of course they will overcome it.He also mentioned about the future plans saying Tata Sky, courtesy its semi-owner Rupert Murdoch and of course Ratan Tata have not yet embarked on its full potential within India. DTH services owned by Star's parent company News Corporation are far more superior than the technologies offered here by Tata Sky.They have simply kept the cost low, to recover it as soon as they can. However, once they break even and if the competition heats up unexpectedly with newer and stronger contenders, it will unleash newer technologies...he didnt elaborate though, but simply said just wait and watch.I wanted to ask him more, but I had to go out so I ended the conversation there.Come to think of it...Sky and DirecTV (both sister concerns of Star) are market leaders in their respective markets such as UK, USA and Latin America. I am sure we will not have a raw deal, with newer entrants like Big TV, Bharti DTH or even Videocon for that matter. We are talking about a joint venture of 2 huge companies here...Tata Group and Star...I am sure we can always expect the best from them together. They are not fly by night operators.

If the govt. removes the cap on foreign investment in dth, sky will invest heavily and give it a boost.

If the govt. removes the cap on foreign investment in dth, sky will invest heavily and give it a boost.

You are right...Star barely owns 20%. If their stake increases, all the existing players are demolished since Star doesnt mind experiencing initial losses at cost of competition...thats what Rupert Murdoch is all about...he is a very fierce player compared to Subhash Chandra of Zee, Sunil Mittal of Bharti or even Anil Ambani of ADAG Reliance.

There is no reason why Indian companies cannot get the hardware from China, and deliver software services themselves. Aren't we a IT superpower or something?I do not want to give Murdoch more access to India. This Murdoch, Rockefeller, Kissinger type people will finish the job which Times of India has started. We need to be aware of our interests as well.Anil, Sunil Bharti etc need to spend some money on R&D.

Yes I agree with u "OnlyFun", TATA's and SKy is not here just for fun they mean real business, They both are leaders in their respective business world wide and we can expect something very good from them in future.

Also with the competion increasing they will surely come up with something good. But I feel seeing how TS is functioning in launching the channels or other services, we as a customer will have to shell out more money.

Don't believe in this sink and recover theory. Can see why DishTv went in with mpeg2. Don't know why TS which launched three years later did so with that. In any case, if Sky and TS are such big shots with so much cash that they don't know what to do with it, why are they crawling about when it comes to technical issues with software, STB and transponder capacity?

Since there were less satellites for launching DTH after NSS. Hence they are stuck on INSATGregory House, its similar to the fact, in this age of 2 mbps, why are you still stuck on 144 kbps speeds? ;) No offence..but trying to make a point :DHey why dont you replace Vikram Kaushik as CEO. I am sure you will do a great job!

My 'my way or the highway' philosophy makes things very difficult for me in most areas of life, including getting and maintaining a broadband connection, which I have tried, and you can read about it in the Tata Indicom section if you go back about six months.That apart, Murdoch might be a big shot out side India and Ratan Tata might be well respected, but if you have followed the history of the UF, BJP and NDA governments of the mid-late 90's, both these big shots had to bite dust. Murdoch's DTH plans were stalled and so was that of Tata which wanted to start a domestic airline in a JV with Singapore Airlines.The story of Mittal, Ambanis and Chandra are very different as compared to these two as each one of them is capable of and has taken advantage of the government machinery in his own way over the years. So, they will go on with two and three satellites and introducing non-compatible tech (no problem with that), while TS will flounder if it does not read the writing on the wall and do something about it.VK? Let him do his job. No intention of leading a coup against him.

....and you can read about it in the Tata Indicom section if you go back about six months.

Not interested...thanks!

That apart, Murdoch might be a big shot out side India and Ratan Tata might be well respected, but if you have followed the history of the UF, BJP and NDA governments of the mid-late 90's, both these big shots had to bite dust. Murdoch's DTH plans were stalled and so was that of Tata which wanted to start a domestic airline in a JV with Singapore Airlines.

Thats fine. Past obstacles are not future indicators.

So, they will go on with two and three satellites and introducing non-compatible tech (no problem with that), while TS will flounder if it does not read the writing on the wall and do something about it.

2 and 3 satellites...wow...you are gonna sit and point the dish in different directions simultaneously? :hysterical:

VK? Let him do his job. No intention of leading a coup against him.

Good for him :thumbsup:

2 and 3 satellites...wow...you are gonna sit and point the dish in different directions simultaneously? :hysterical:

You do not have to sit on the terrace and turn dishes towards different satellites. That is where lnb's come in. DirecTV in the US uses 3/5 lnb dishes that can catch signals from 3-5 satellites located in a particular orbit at particular angles, simultaneously. I am not sure what the exact technical issues are relating to angles, but that is how it is done.

Back