Getting a Mobile Connection in Bangalore

• Thread starter Thread starter SPMobile
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 12,108

SPMobile

ISP
BSNL DataOne
Hello, My wife and I are moving to Bangalore soon and need the expert advice of the Neitzens of this community in selecting a mobile service provider. We have heard Airtel has the best coverage, our relatives and friends also have Airtel. But we do not want that to be the deciding factor. Could BSNL/ Vodafone be an option in Bangalore? I would like to know if anyone has idea about the coverage in the Outer Ring Road/ Nagawara/ Northern Bangalore area. In south Bangalore I am told Airtel coverage is pretty good. How is the coverage outside bangalore city limits? Are there any other options other than Airtel since Airtel is rumored to be expensive. Should we look at Prepaid or postpaid? My wife needs a plan with cheap STD since she calls her mother frequently. Are there any special plans/ vouchers we could use to minimize our telecommunication expenses? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Airtel and BSNL are good in Bangalore.BUT Vodafone is horrible in outer ringroad, and Nagwara.Best option is to go for BSNL postpaid, they have some plans that can make STD calls cheaper.

If both needs connection, then go for bsnl postpaid with jodi plan . so that calls between the two numbers are not charged ! airtel has the best voice clarity compared to bsnl.. And Vodafone the worst in voice clarity . Most of the time call drops in vodafone ! I think you can choose either airtel or bsnl. If both are planning to buy, then bsnl should be better. they have std 1re in 325 plan

Airtel and BSNL are good in Bangalore.

BUT Vodafone is horrible in outer ringroad, and Nagwara.

Best option is to go for BSNL postpaid, they have some plans that can make STD calls cheaper.

@mshiva --Thank you for your response. Would there be plans in BSNL prepaid that could give decent rates? What about the new prepaid Super One India plan? Are the recharge vouchers easy/ hard to get? I am asking since I understand a lot of legwork is involved in getting a BSNL connection, i.e. going to the exchange and dealing with the babus....right now we only want a connection for her.

If both needs connection, then go for bsnl postpaid with jodi plan . so that calls between the two numbers are not charged ! airtel has the best voice clarity compared to bsnl.. And Vodafone the worst in voice clarity . Most of the time call drops in vodafone !

I think you can choose either airtel or bsnl. If both are planning to buy, then bsnl should be better. they have std 1re in 325 plan

@appus-- What if we just want the connection for my wife right now? I will be moving to Bangalore in 2-3 months....my wife joins work tomorrow.

Are there evening/ peak time congestion problems with mobile carriers in Bangalore? I know in Nagpur BSNL/ Airtel have some issues in this regard. How are Airtel/ BSNL or a matter of fact Spice in that regard?

Your replies are greatly appreciated.

@SPMobile,Very true, you can say geting a BSNL connection consumes half your blood:mad:.I don't remember much about BSNL's plans(I'm an Airtel user), but STD calls are rs.1.2/min(in Airtel its rs.1.5):).Getting their plans are not easy, but they are cheaper, if you live near ORR, go to Kalyan Nagar office and buy it there, it's a bit easy there than Indiranagar.BUT, if Airtel is not a problem, you can easily get one, almost anywhere(I bought mine from a stationary shop). They have some Lifetime plans.I have faced signal problems only twice in 4 years, and that too while driving very fast(may be my phone's problem):thumbsup:. ALSO Reliance is bringing lots of towers in ORR area. They even have a box:confused: for landline connection in every house in my area. But Reliance is always unreliable.

@SPMobile,

Very true, you can say geting a BSNL connection consumes half your blood:mad:.

I don't remember much about BSNL's plans(I'm an Airtel user), but STD calls are rs.1.2/min(in Airtel its rs.1.5):).

Getting their plans are not easy, but they are cheaper, if you live near ORR, go to Kalyan Nagar office and buy it there, it's a bit easy there than Indiranagar.

BUT, if Airtel is not a problem, you can easily get one, almost anywhere(I bought mine from a stationary shop). They have some Lifetime plans.

I have faced signal problems only twice in 4 years, and that too while driving very fast(may be my phone's problem):thumbsup:.

ALSO Reliance is bringing lots of towers in ORR area. They even have a box:confused: for landline connection in every house in my area. But Reliance is always unreliable.

@MShiva

Thanks for your input:). I will keep that in mind when advising my wife to get a connection.

Do you know how much one needs to pay for a [email protected] for Airtel prepaid cards? Since you have been an Airtel user for quite a while :thumbsup:, can you advise on any special promotions that might be going on right now? Also, is there any difference in promotions if one had lifetime prepaid from Airtel or regular prepaid?

BSNL not having network issues most of the places i know ! I dont think getting BSNL sim is a headache ! You can buy from most of the store or get one from BSNL exchange (many exchanges) !Super one india is 299 is monthly recharge and you will have 50rs talk time with 30 days validity . recharge coupons are available for that matter !1re is the std rate on that !1 number STD for 60ps (FAMILY n Friend) is available in most of the postpaid plans and few prepaid plans ! Spice/Vodafone.. these are having network congestion most of the time.. especially in the evening times ! I was on Vodafone and switched to BSNL . Except customer care, am happy with their service ! Customer care is a big waste !

BSNL not having network issues most of the places i know ! I dont think getting BSNL sim is a headache ! You can buy from most of the store or get one from BSNL exchange (many exchanges) !

Super one india is 299 is monthly recharge and you will have 50rs talk time with 30 days validity . recharge coupons are available for that matter !

1re is the std rate on that !

1 number STD for 60ps (FAMILY n Friend) is available in most of the postpaid plans and few prepaid plans !

Spice/Vodafone.. these are having network congestion most of the time.. especially in the evening times ! I was on Vodafone and switched to BSNL . Except customer care, am happy with their service ! Customer care is a big waste !

@ appus

Thanks for your input. It seems BSNL postpaid is a better option that BSNL prepaid. Do you think for prepaid Airtel and its special recharges is better than BSNL? We might go for the jodi plan that you mentioned once I also reach Bangalore, right now we are looking for a mobile connection just for my wife. Your thoughts?

BSNL not having network issues most of the places i know ! I dont think getting BSNL sim is a headache ! You can buy from most of the store or get one from BSNL exchange (many exchanges) !

Super one india is 299 is monthly recharge and you will have 50rs talk time with 30 days validity . recharge coupons are available for that matter !

1re is the std rate on that !

1 number STD for 60ps (FAMILY n Friend) is available in most of the postpaid plans and few prepaid plans !

Spice/Vodafone.. these are having network congestion most of the time.. especially in the evening times ! I was on Vodafone and switched to BSNL . Except customer care, am happy with their service ! Customer care is a big waste !

@appus

How can one get the FnF numbers into the BSNL system, i.e. making sure that the one local number is charged at 20p/min and the second number for STD is charged at 60p/min? Do we need to fill some form and submit along with the connection application or go separately to the closest telephone exchange to submit the form? What is the time frame invloved for the activation of SIM and FnF numbers?

@ appus

Thanks for your input. It seems BSNL postpaid is a better option that BSNL prepaid. Do you think for prepaid Airtel and its special recharges is better than BSNL? We might go for the jodi plan that you mentioned once I also reach Bangalore, right now we are looking for a mobile connection just for my wife. Your thoughts?

well, if you are not coming down, better take airtel prepaid as of now.. later you can go for bsnl postpaid once you come down !

Special recharges : My friend got an sms from airtel just now :26rs recharge and 80 Rs talktime ! One week validity !

He was about to recharge .. later he read completely

calls between 11pm -> 7AM , and calls to Airtel numbers only applicable..

ie 80min to airtel numbers during night ! and One week..

so you have to be careful with special recharges. people tends to recharge !

STD 1re is 34rs i guess. Not sure ! That is a good option if you call more than 68 minutes a month :)

I suggest you to go for airtel temporarily till you come down ! (if the service is good, you can stick to that aswell )

well, if you are not coming down, better take airtel prepaid as of now.. later you can go for bsnl postpaid once you come down !

so you have to be careful with special recharges. people tends to recharge !

STD 1re is 34rs i guess. Not sure ! That is a good option if you call more than 68 minutes a month :)

I suggest you to go for airtel temporarily till you come down ! (if the service is good, you can stick to that aswell )

@appus

Thanks a ton...you have been very helpful and quick in responding to my queries.:thumbsup:

Back