Good News - Nimbus may be put up for sale

• Thread starter Thread starter ajuravi007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 43
  • Views Views 6,957
Worldwide, content companies have to deal with pirates and governments support them. India is one of the few countries where the government itself passes legislation legalising piracy by the public broadcaster, thereby leaving the rights holder with a Hobson's choice. DD does not even encrypt its signals and the court has ruled in its favour. So all of South Asia can watch all important events for free.In such a scenario, which idiot will pay 1500 crores for rights only to find the next morning that the government has swindled him? I support Thawani only on this issue (nothing will change the fact that his channels' production values are crap). Any exclusivity held by the group is dead.Companies should take a stand and boycott all India centric events. Only then will this problem be solved.

Even i was wondering on your statement,,,,,,,,:confused:

I thought he was mentioing about it on TS platform as they are not charging anything for this channel.

u r getting it wrong. whatever DD earns. 75% goes to nimbus.plus cricket is important event in India. its like religion. nimbus does not reach everywhere in india esp in villages. DD reacheseverywhere.plus u forgot that nimbus put 56Rs per month in an attempt totake advantage of monopoly/sole rights. just becuase of govt/trai it didnt succeed to do that.

Someone else's need does not give him the right to rob me. The same applies to whoever need to watch cricket. The constitution does not provide for a right to watch cricket.If DD or the government wants to provide cricket to the people, let them compete for the rights, have them exclusively and then make money via ads. They won't do that.DD need to operate on a commercial basis. If you remember, just before DD Metro was shut down, Kerry Packer's Nine Networks had bid and won a two hour block on prime time on the channel and provided quality programming. Have a similar arrangement if necessary. But the fools won't think of doing anything like that. They are behaving like dictators from some banana republic - I will take what I want whether you wish to provide it or not.And about the 75-25 thing, DD is not doing Neo a favour. If Neo had exclusive rights, they could have charged any price they wanted and could have made much more money.Regarding fleecing the customer by asking for 56 rupees, it depends on if the customer really wants to watch the matches. If he does, he should pay up. He can always choose not to watch it. I would probably curse Neo and pay up or stage a silent protest by not watching the matches.Finally, it is economics that should influence these matters and not the whims and fancies of TRAI or whichever buffoon occupies the various ministries in the government.

Indian Govt. is doing the same what british FTA terrestial broadcasters are doing. There every football match played by any British club should be telecasted on terrestial FTA channel - BBC/ITV. (But some of this channel is encrypted on DTH). There is no harm in showing cricket match by DD to Indian viewers, but what actually causing problems is DD signals used abroad. (In middleeast I have seen many TV shops showing cricket matches telecasted on DD) So the local telecast right holders commercial interest is hurt, which in turn will hurt NIMBUS who are actually selling the feed to those broadcaster.So actually DD should encrypt its feed (atleast while matches)Other option is to provide free viewing card (highly secured) only to Indian viewers with STB's (as done in Japan - BCAS) so Indian viewers can watch encrypted DD telecast, while this feed cannot be used abroad

At least UK has competition in the terrestrial space; not that I condone the laws which force transmission of signals over the terrestrial system. Technology should be judged on what its end product is. If both terrestrial transmission as well as IPTV, DTH etc result in television viewing, why discriminate? This is where a unified media license is significant.As for encryption, DD wants to have everything without doing anything for the same. And in Neo's case, BCCI is willing to foot the bill for encryption. Even then the pigheadedness shows no signs of subsiding.

As for encryption, DD wants to have everything without doing anything for the same. And in Neo's case, BCCI is willing to foot the bill for encryption. Even then the pigheadedness shows no signs of subsiding.
That is the reason of worry, they seem really don't want to do anything, just get whatever they can by forcing without using little portion of brains.
They even wasted DD DTH, which could be world's greatest FTA service if Planned, Developed, Marketed well

Indian Govt. is doing the same what british FTA terrestial broadcasters are doing. There every football match played by any British club should be telecasted on terrestial FTA channel - BBC/ITV. (But some of this channel is encrypted on DTH). There is no harm in showing cricket match by DD to Indian viewers, but what actually causing problems is DD signals used abroad. (In middleeast I have seen many TV shops showing cricket matches telecasted on DD) So the local telecast right holders commercial interest is hurt, which in turn will hurt NIMBUS who are actually selling the feed to those broadcaster.
So actually DD should encrypt its feed (atleast while matches)
Other option is to provide free viewing card (highly secured) only to Indian viewers with STB's (as done in Japan - BCAS) so Indian viewers can watch encrypted DD telecast, while this feed cannot be used abroad

ITV isn't FTA - and the BBC has to compete with Sky and ITV to purchase rights for events like the FA Cup. It certainly isn't considered BBCs god given right to allow them access to prime content as it is here. Free markers are a lot more efficient than the loftiest of intellectuals: unfortunately our politicians are years away from realizing that.

Hey Aju, what happened to Schumacker ..? :) (was that Schumacker or Alonso?)

chumacher shines on F1 return!

More than a year after his retirement, seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher stole the show on Tuesday, setting the pace, as F1's first post-season test kicked off in Barcelona.

At precisely 9:01am, the Schumacher rolled onto Circuit de Catalunya in a Ferrari, and by lunch he was trailing only McLaren's Pedro de la Rosa for the quickest lap. A banner in the grandstand read: ‘Schumi, we've missed you so much’...
Formula 1 : News Catalunya - F1-Live.com

chumacher fastest for Ferrari

Ferrari returned to the track today at Barcelona for the first of three days testing this week.

The two Ferrari drivers running at the Catalunya Circuit, Luca Badoer and Michael Schumacher, worked mainly on the electronics of the F2007 and on development of new components aimed at next season.

Formula 1 : News FERRARI - F1-Live.com

The bad news is that earlier last week i read some where that Schumi is just going to test the ferrari cars and he will not return to f1 again his decision on retirement is final. This was conveyed by himself:wall:

Back