Has anyone tried vodafone 3g on Iphone 4

• Thread starter Thread starter studravi19
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 19,772
I have activated 3G plan. There is no 3G signal at my place, so the iPhone uses EDGE. Now I am being charged 10p/10kb for usage on EDGE. Is it supposed to be like this?

*225*6#

Does it works for Delhi too or just Mumbai?

There is a hack if you want data connectivity of Vodafone on iPhone 3G /3GS/4.

There is no need to buy Vodafone's iPhone specific plan. Just get a regular 3G or 2G plan.
This regular plan needs a specific access point called "www" (no quotes).
Being a iPhone user, if you insert a Vodafone/Airtel SIM settings are automatically done (even if your handset is factory unlocked). So you don't get to set these manually and thus Vodafone can control how you access the data connection. Its a iPhone specific access point and not the generic "www" as mentioned above. So the hack is you set the access point as "www" but since manual setting is not possible, you just goto Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone from phone browser (you need to be on wifi to get internet). On this site select custom APN and specify "www" (all small letters and no quotes) as your access point. It will guide you to create file called ".mobileconfig" file which you can install directly or have it emailed to you (so that in future if you need you don't have to visit the site). This same thinsg can be achieved if you have "iPhone Configuration Utility" from Apple. You can download it from apple's website. This utility will also create same file and install it to your phone. Once installed you will see Profiles menu (the bottom most menu in settings->General). The limitation is that Apple does not allow you to set custom APN for MMS and Tethering sections. So with this hack, you are setting custom access point name for browsing and data connectivity for all installed apps. No MMS and Tethering.

There is a hack if you want data connectivity of Vodafone on iPhone 3G /3GS/4.

There is no need to buy Vodafone's iPhone specific plan. Just get a regular 3G or 2G plan.
This regular plan needs a specific access point called "www" (no quotes).
Being a iPhone user, if you insert a Vodafone/Airtel SIM settings are automatically done (even if your handset is factory unlocked). So you don't get to set these manually and thus Vodafone can control how you access the data connection. Its a iPhone specific access point and not the generic "www" as mentioned above. So the hack is you set the access point as "www" but since manual setting is not possible, you just goto Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone from phone browser (you need to be on wifi to get internet). On this site select custom APN and specify "www" (all small letters and no quotes) as your access point. It will guide you to create file called ".mobileconfig" file which you can install directly or have it emailed to you (so that in future if you need you don't have to visit the site). This same thinsg can be achieved if you have "iPhone Configuration Utility" from Apple. You can download it from apple's website. This utility will also create same file and install it to your phone. Once installed you will see Profiles menu (the bottom most menu in settings->General). The limitation is that Apple does not allow you to set custom APN for MMS and Tethering sections. So with this hack, you are setting custom access point name for browsing and data connectivity for all installed apps. No MMS and Tethering.

Yes. The unlockit site is the easiest solution. But like you mentioned, no MMS or tethering. A more permanent solution is to modify the carrier file on your iPhone by changing the APN in the file. By default the APN is set to "iphone" so you need to change it to "www". Then you have MMS & tethering too.

Yes. The unlockit site is the easiest solution. But like you mentioned, no MMS or tethering. A more permanent solution is to modify the carrier file on your iPhone by changing the APN in the file. By default the APN is set to "iphone" so you need to change it to "www". Then you have MMS & tethering too.

I have 3GS; used iPhone Configuration Utility & set my APN to 'www'. So will my MMS & tethering work?

I have 3GS; used iPhone Configuration Utility & set my APN to 'www'. So will my MMS & tethering work?

I dont think tethering will work. Neither will MMS work. Have you tried setting the tethering option to "ON" in the settings?

The way carrier settings are setup in the iPhone carrier bundles is you have a separate setting for each of the options - GPRS, MMS & Tethering. Although GPRS & tethering use the same APN, they are set separately with different options. On the other hand MMS uses the Vodafone Live APN.

Is your iPhone jailbroken?

hi,
u jst try this settings as i did for my iPhone 4..go to app store..go to search,,type ezapn,,(its free)..download this application..after download,,open easyapn..on the right of top written CONFIGURATION click on configuration,the two boxes will appear.type on APN-www and also on 2nd box type Apn-www. and then click internet..as safri opens after that apn install will appear,,install that,,and do data roaming ON..switch off and ur iphone,,and start safari..see it works ..but u must have activate 3g plan any from vodafone..

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

hi friend,
i was also distrub due to net service on iphone 4 from vodafone..u just try this and 3g will work 100%,first activate 3g plan..and with ur iphone go to app store through wifi,,in search tab type EZAPN ,,install this application,,its free,,after install this app,,open this app.u will find on right of the top CONFIGURATION,open the configuration,,and type on APN www and also on 2nd box type www..leave others blank,,and on right of the top DONE,click the DONE,,and then click INTERNET. then install will appear,click on the install . and switch off and on ur iphone,,and then go to settings-network-turn data roaming ON,,then cheak,,ur internet will work

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your iPhone jailbroken?

No it is'nt. My 3G & Edge works at times & at times it does'nt. Could it be network issue?

ezapn,,(its free)..download this application

Thanks, but I have installed APN settings through iPhone Configuration Utility.

Mr. abhitabh sharma are you getting some cuts by promoting malicious apps like ezAPN.I urge everybody PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL ezAPN app. Its a adware and keeps nagging you by ads by installing a background script which is running even if you reset your phone.Also it does not install signed profiles and does not install tethering APN for Vodafone.Use iPhone Configuration Utility which is Apple's own tool and safe for your phone.Unlockit.co.nz is also safe as it installs signed profiles.

No it is'nt. My 3G & Edge works at times & at times it does'nt. Could it be network issue?

That's strange. It should work all the time unless you are in a low signal area. If you don't have 3G signals it automatically switches over to Edge.
What data plan are you on? Do you use the "www" APN?

I use a Vodafone Mobile Connect Edge plan (since there is no Vodafone 3G in AP) and I have a BSNL 3G sim for when I need 3G. I've not had any connectivity issues. I'm always connected.

Back