Home Mesh Setup with Jio ONT, TPLink router and range extenders (India)

• Thread starter Thread starter Reacher007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 533
ISP
JIO
I relocated to a new home where the Jio ONT doesn't cover the entire home. Hence, I purchased 2 TP-Link Wireless Range extender RE200s (Physical LAN was tough to pull off), assuming it would solve my issue. I

t works decent with only few wifi dead spots but I ended up with multiple SSIDs and it's a major pain especially when on a VoIP call and roaming around the house (automatic networking switching takes time). I need to setup a robust Mesh system with a single SSID.

I am thinking of buying a TPLink router that will be connected to the JIO ONT (in router or AP mode?) via LAN in the same place. As I got to know that I can't do away with the JIO ONT.

This 'redundant TPLink router' will complement my RE200s to create a mesh network (TP Link requires their routers for One Mesh).

1. Am I better off buying a TP Link router, or should I consider TP Link Deco for my use case?
  2. Any recommendations for a dual band TP Link router that supports one mesh (I don't want my purchased RE200s to go to waste)
  3. Any tips / reviews for TPLink's One mesh? Does it work as well as advertised?
Thanks

Create an additional SSID on Jio and use it to connect your RE200s exclusively to them.
Rename the SSIDs on your RE200s same as your old Jio.

This should help your case.

Not sure why I need to create an additional SSID via Jio. Also even with the same SSID name there is no handoff (when I move to a different location in my house) between access points for edge devices without a mesh right? How would that solve the problem

The handoff happens, but it happens slowly in some cases. And anyways, the handoff is based on how a particular device and it's OS is configured.

The key to have good handoff is the AP placement. Having the APs within half the air-range of each other is going to mess up handoff.
Ensure you place them and tweak the Beacon Intervals, DTIM and WiFi power levels to influence which AP your devices connect to. Be a little smart about it.

I use the same SSID across to APs in my home and handoff works really well, and no they aren't MESH devices but standard, off the shelf routers.

My setup allows the devices to switch SSIDs without any major disruptions in service 90% of the times. Good enough for my parents to not notice and complain but noticeable enough as an enthusiast like me.

Back