Home UL 750 plus plan downgraded by BSNL --> reliance thunder ?

• Thread starter Thread starter hadrons123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 7,616
ISP
BSNL -->Tikona ->BSNL BB 800
I have been using BSNL broadband Home UL 750 plus for the last 4 years with Download speed 1mbps without FUP until the end of february.
My bittorrent speeds were always decent above 100KB/s-120KB/s all these years.
http://t.co/buW4ca1CBO my speedtest.net results.
Now I have noticed that My download speed is downgraded to 512kbps for the last 7 days in march. I live in chennai, anna nagar.
I don't think there is any problem with SNR as its always above 300.
Is anyone else having the same problem?
Just came to see the forums and noticed that reliance thunder seems to offer better than BSNL and at a lower cost.
Does reliance plans without FUP offer constant speeds or is it erratic?

hadrons123 said:
Just came to see the forums and noticed that reliance thunder seems to offer better than BSNL and at a lower cost.
Does reliance plans without FUP offer constant speeds or is it erratic?
Here is your answers
1. Absolutely Reliance is far better than any other ISP in Tamilnadu not sure about other states.
2. "No FUP" only word makes me like Reliance, means you can keep downloading 24x7.
3. AFAIK speeds & pings are the area which could be a problem when considering reliance, so its better if you check with someone from your area using Reliance.
If he gets the promised bandwidth then its green signal for you
Some times you might face downtimes, thats the part of the game
Hope this helps :)

UL750 was supposed to be a 512kbps plan from start itself.
If you were on 1mbps plan earlier and migrated to this one, it may be possible bsnl didn't properly downgraded speed, this happens, I've seen guys getting 2mbps from old plan
till they got it corrected or bsnl noticed huge download logs for the user and re-checked the plan and speed values..

@ ghpk I kind of understood that since they changed the tarrifs from march 1, My plan got bumped to the routine list of new home UL 750+ users with FUP.
I was never on 1mbps plan. I have been on the same old 750 UL plan for 5 years.
@maniac
I don't know anyone around my place where I live in Anna nagar who has reliance, so its kind of a gamble. I don't know what else to do.
Moreover I am using Arch linux and Fedora as my operating system. I hope I wont have any issues with login. I already have a D-Link 2730 U modem, which is bit of trouble as I have read about it around here.
Can we use PPOe protocol to connect reliance broadband, as I have read MER needs you to type your login credentials in web browser through reliance portal to get connected?

I was getting 512 kbps for the past few days but I'm getting 1 mbps now. I think it was a temporary error rather than a "downgrade".

are you sure?
For me it starts at 100KB/s and after few seconds , my speed stays at 55-60KB/s.

hadrons123 said:
are you sure?
For me it starts at 100KB/s and after few seconds , my speed stays at 55-60KB/s.
Hmm. Just re-ran a speedtest. It was 135 KBPS an hour ago. Now it's 80 KBPS. Still higher than 512 kbps though.

Rather than being downgraded, you are on the correct plan now. Luckily, they hadn't applied fup to your plan all this while (or had set your speed [profile to 1mbps w/o fup, instead of 512k.)
Regarding reliance, as maniac123 said, check before taking the plunge.

Thanks for the input, everyone.
can anyone help me with this :
Can we use PPOe protocol instead of MER to connect reliance broadband, as I have read MER needs you to type your login credentials in web browser through reliance portal to get connected?

Back