Honor 9 Lite

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 58
  • Views Views 4,490
anyone here has this phone? :D

Got the delivery today. Exchanged the old Redmi Note LTE phone for Rs. 1000. So this cost me around Rs. 10,000.

My experience is very limited with budget phones in this segment so I am not in position to say how it compares with other phones in this range. But it seems to be good enough for the purpose I needed it.

Fingerprint sensor is very fast. Face Unlock also works well in good lighting condition.

Back is glass so would need to take extra care handling it. Case came with a plastic case which seems good enough for the time being. Probably would order a transparent tpu case in coming days.

Display has a black border. Not sure why it’s there. Not a fan.

Lots of apps came preloaded. Tons of Honor’s own apps. Along with Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, UC News, UC Browser, Flipkart etc. After the update, even more apps appeared including Netflix.

Phone started pushing notification spam within 30 minutes of activation. Recommended apps to install. Uninstall/Disable options are not available. Notifications cannot be blocked with the single toggle. Individual toggles were available so toggled all. Would see if this shit continues.

User interface seems fine. It’s not very refined though. There are a lot of elements which look out of place. At some places, padding is so bad that it just looks awful. Notification panel seems like a direct rip off of Samsung devices. Lots of features seem to be direct copy of features I have seen on Samsung devices in the past. Like ultra power saving mode.

Tons of gestures available which are nice. There is option to double click to wake up and turn off display. Turn off display option sadly only works when the phone is locked making it pointless. There are tons of gestures available through the fingerprint sensor if one could remember them all. It’s pretty cool I think. Would have loved to have a few of these features on my Pixel.

Installed Lawnchair. But does not work well. Crashes a lot. And Honor shittily would show a serious warning popup recommending uninstalling the app. Managed to accidentally uninstall the app through that popup. I am sure mom would end up on stock launcher within a few days.

Camera is horrible. Not sure if it is comparable to cameras on other phones in this price range. But I didn’t like it much. But then I dumped Nokia 8 because of its camera so there’s that. It is just hard to like any other camera once you are used to Nexus/Pixel cameras.

There is no fast charging support. Microusb kind of makes me sad these days. The port is opposite of what it was on Redmi Note so mom would need to get used to plugging the cable right. It’s kind of annoying that the direction of microusb port is not uniform across these phones.

The other phones I considered before ordering this were…

Honor 7c (flash sale, next date is 18th, did not want to wait)

Honor 7x (higher price tag. Camera could have been better I guess)

Moto G6 (Crappy processor?)

Avoided Xiaomi this time around because of the ad infestation across their user interface. Honor seems to be doing the same but remains to be seen if mom would get ashleel messages through notification spam like they do on Mi phones these days.

Realme 1 was another option. No fingerprint sensor was kind of annoying. Reviews also indicate that software is not very optimized right now. Even the 6GB model restarts app on every app reload.

I am guessing not many people would be interested in buying this phone. But if you are, feel free to ask any questions!

one major annoyance is that phone has two different interfaces for incoming calls. one for when the phone is locked. one for when the phone is unlocked. i am guessing it requires a more complicated gesture when the phone is locked so that one does not accidentally accept the call when the phone is lying in the pocket? but it surely does confuse my mom.

l42Ya4a.png
bWodERz.png

Ultra Power Saving Mode. I think this is a direct copy of Samsung?

oJQsTqd.png

this is similar to the mi lite mode that xiaomi phones used to have.

ZdQOZCN.png

i did not try this one. but i still use the app that mi used on dad's phone. always nice to have this option. i hope Huawei does not remove this feature like xiaomi has.

latest update added support for idea volte. i am not sure if vodafone and airtel are already supported.

jfuwSXy.png
0nuBiZy.png

mom's phone is on airtel. but i don't think airtel volte is available in gurgaon yet.

Back