How can you limit YouTube usage on an Apple iPad?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 3,802

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Looking for possible ways to limit screen usage especially apps like YouTube on an iPad for a contact.

Apple parental control seems to require a second iOS device which acts as a parent device while the child device has to be configured using a child account. Parent device can then control screen usage on the child account device. At least that's what I understood from Apple documentation.

The other option I can think of is using NextDNS on the iPad and you get ability to control what servers that device can access from any device. Though I suppose, if the child is smart, he would be easily able to disable NextDNS assuming Apple does not provide any kind of restriction. I do not think even Android has such an option.

Solution
Screen Time has an option for per app usage limits and the option to set a passcode (separate from the unlock passcode) to bypass it. I guess that should work
Screen Time has an option for per app usage limits and the option to set a passcode (separate from the unlock passcode) to bypass it. I guess that should work

Solution
oh that should work i suppose. don't have access to any ios device atm so cannot really test out. but this should definitely work.

Screen Time does seem to have an option to limit access to domains as well.

Not sure if it would work. Net Nanny type third party apps also exist but they are quite costly for this simple requirement.

This sort of works but they can still use other browsers. You can fix that problem with a DoT/DoH profile in ipad and restrict it at DNS level. They can still side step it with a VPN but then maybe you can block all VPN apps in the appstore.

Add screentime passcode otherwise they can just ignore limit.

Source

Back