how to activate 3g on jailbroken iphone

• Thread starter Thread starter zoom99
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 12,911

zoom99

ISP
mtnl
hey, can anybody help me to activate 3g on jailbroken iPhone. i've already received from vodafone stating that 3G service has been activated. bt still i do not see 3G icon on the phone. can anybody help

are u sure that you area has 3G coverage ?

Jailbroken has nothing to do with the 3g status. May i suggest grabbing someone's handset, putting it purely into 3g state ( i.e. enable only a wcdma mode/hspa mode etc) and see if it gets a signal. If the 3g is present in your area, it will show up fine in iPhone.

Jailbroken has nothing to do with the 3g status. May i suggest grabbing someone's handset, putting it purely into 3g state ( i.e. enable only a wcdma mode/hspa mode etc) and see if it gets a signal. If the 3g is present in your area, it will show up fine in iPhone.

Jayesh , i needed sme help in regards to the post ... Also i liked ur posts on asterisk and need some help , can u either add me up as a friend of provide me ur contact info ???? Very urgent . I am a final year computer enginering student in MIT Pune.

Looking forward for ur reply..

hey,
can anybody help me to activate 3g on jailbroken iPhone. i've already received from vodafone stating that 3G service has been activated. bt still i do not see 3G icon on the phone.

can anybody help

Is the 3G setting activated on you iPhone?
You can check by going to Settings>General>Network. Check if the 3G option is set to "ON". If this option is active then your iPhone will switch to 3G as long as you have a 3G service in your area and it is active on your connection.

Is the 3G setting activated on you iPhone?
You can check by going to Settings>General>Network. Check if the 3G option is set to "ON". If this option is active then your iPhone will switch to 3G as long as you have a 3G service in your area and it is active on your connection.

Haha Got to always remember to switch on something before using it... Like plugging ur comp into electricity before trying to write an email on it :P ...

I have a iPhone 3G which is locked with Vodafone. After successfully using 3G in the trial period when I asked about data plans for 3G the Customer Support said that there is no iData plan for 3G at present and so I have to wait till they announce a plan for iPhone. Is there any way that I can use 3G?

I have a iPhone 3G which is locked with Vodafone. After successfully using 3G in the trial period when I asked about data plans for 3G the Customer Support said that there is no iData plan for 3G at present and so I have to wait till they announce a plan for iPhone. Is there any way that I can use 3G?

Why is your iPhone 3G locked to Vodafone? Are you not out of the contact lock in period? Will they noy unlock it for you?

Frankly, i am not a fan of these iphone data plans that are offered by Airtel & Vodafone. The plans are a total ripoff. When you are on the so-called iPhone data plan you are paying more money for data. If you had a Vodafone Mobile connect data plan with the same data limit then you pay less than the iPhone data plan. How does the same amount of data become more expensive bases on the device I use when the volume of data is the same?

In answer to your question, here is what I'd do..

First option: Jailbreak your iPhone. Get a regular Vodafone Mobile Connect or 3G Plan and use it with your iPhone. I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G which I use with my Vodafone Mobile Connect data plan. I pay Rs 399 pm for unlimited 2G data. There is no Vodafone 3G in AP so I use a BSNL 3G SIM for my 3G needs.

Second option: This is more technical. If you'd rather not jailbreak then you could access & modify the Carrier Configuration file on your iPhone to change the APN. This would allow you to activate and use the Vodafone Mobile Connect or 3G plan on your iPhone. In the Vodafone India Carrier Configuration file on the iPhone the APN is configured as "iphone". This is the reason you cannot use any other data plan with the iPhone from Vodafone. Modifying the APN should allow you to use a different data plan on your iPhone.

Why is your iPhone 3G locked to Vodafone? Are you not out of the contact lock in period? Will they noy unlock it for you?

Frankly, i am not a fan of these iphone data plans that are offered by Airtel & Vodafone. The plans are a total ripoff. When you are on the so-called iPhone data plan you are paying more money for data. If you had a Vodafone Mobile connect data plan with the same data limit then you pay less than the iPhone data plan. How does the same amount of data become more expensive bases on the device I use when the volume of data is the same?

In answer to your question, here is what I'd do..

First option: Jailbreak your iPhone. Get a regular Vodafone Mobile Connect or 3G Plan and use it with your iPhone. I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G which I use with my Vodafone Mobile Connect data plan. I pay Rs 399 pm for unlimited 2G data. There is no Vodafone 3G in AP so I use a BSNL 3G SIM for my 3G needs.

Second option: This is more technical. If you'd rather not jailbreak then you could access & modify the Carrier Configuration file on your iPhone to change the APN. This would allow you to activate and use the Vodafone Mobile Connect or 3G plan on your iPhone. In the Vodafone India Carrier Configuration file on the iPhone the APN is configured as "iphone". This is the reason you cannot use any other data plan with the iPhone from Vodafone. Modifying the APN should allow you to use a different data plan on your iPhone.

Thanks for your detailed answer. I have asked Vodafone to unlock my set but they said they cannot do that.
I would like to go with your second option. Let me know how to proceed and whether there is any risk?

Back