how to activate 3g on jailbroken iphone

• Thread starter Thread starter zoom99
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 12,911
In the Vodafone India Carrier Configuration file on the iPhone the APN is configured as "iphone".

Are you sure for this?

As I been using EDGE on iPhone 3GS with 'portalnmms' as Access Point Name (APN).

And, its been working.

Yes I am sure. I have extracted and modified the Carrier Configuration file on my iPhone.

Are you using an officially unlocked 3GS or a jailbroken one? What Vodafone data plan do you use?

What I was talking about in my previous post is the APN on the Vodafone India Carrier Configuration file that is part of the stock iPhone OS. On carrier locked iPhones the option to edit/modify your APN manually is disabled. So you are stuck with using the carrier (in this case Vodafone India) provided data plan which uses the APN "iphone". But the same option is accessible on factory unlocked or jailbroken iPhones. This allows you to manually set your APN and use whatever data plan you want to.

The APN you use will depend on the data plan you are using. The APN you mentioned "portalnmms" is part of the Vodafone Live WAP service. I am not sure if you can access everything with this APN, I cannot comment as I do not use this as my data APN. I use the Mobile Connect data plan and in my network settings I use "www" as my data APN and "portalnmms" as the APN for my MMS service. From my experience of Vodafone data plans, I can tell you that they usually charge you for all traffic over the WAP APN whereas their unlimited data plans use the "www" APN.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Thanks for your detailed answer. I have asked Vodafone to unlock my set but they said they cannot do that.
I would like to go with your second option. Let me know how to proceed and whether there is any risk?

Hey.. Sorry about taking so long to reply. I've been swamped with work and havent had a chance to log on to the forum in the past few days. Here's my response to your query....

There is always a certain amount of risk when you are modifying files on your phone. But you can mitigate the risk by creating a backup copy of the files before you modify them. If the changes you make don't work then you can always replace the files with the backup copy.

To start off what I suggested, you would need a program like either Phone Browser or Total Commander. I use both and they work. You will also need a plist editor program. This is basically an editor which will allow you to open and edit property list files. You can google and try to find them.

Once you find and download the programs, follow the steps below...

1. Install the programs on to your computer.
2. Connect your iPhone to your computer then launch the Phone Browser or Total Commander program.
3. Once you see the directories/ files on the iPhone, go to - System/Library/CarrierBundles 4. Look for the folder named Vodafone_in (it should be somewhere at the bottom of the list) 5. Save a copy of the Vodafone_in folder on to your computer. Create a backup copy of the folder.
6. Launch the plist editor program and open the file named "carrier.plist" (this file will be in the Vodafone_in folder that you just copied to your computer).
7. In the above file look for the section which lists the APN. It will look like this:
apn
iphone

8. Delete the word "iphone" and replace it with "www", without the quotes. (www is the APN for Vodafone Mobile Connect). It should now look like this:
apn

9. Scroll further down in the file and you should see the APN setting listed again (this I for the tethering option). Change it here also.
10. Save the file.
12. Go to the Vodafone_in folder on your iPhone. Delete the carrier.plist file.
13. Copy the file you just modified from your computer to your iPhone in the Vodafone_in folder.
14. Reboot your iPhone.
15. Insert a Vodafone SIM card which has Mobile Connect data plan activated and test to confirm that data services work. Try accessing a website thru Safari.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. I have done this not only on my iPhone but also on several others. So this should work for you too.

Yes I am sure. I have extracted and modified the Carrier Configuration file on my iPhone.

Are you using an officially unlocked 3GS or a jailbroken one? What Vodafone data plan do you use?

What I was talking about in my previous post is the APN on the Vodafone India Carrier Configuration file that is part of the stock iPhone OS. On carrier locked iPhones the option to edit/modify your APN manually is disabled. So you are stuck with using the carrier (in this case Vodafone India) provided data plan which uses the APN "iphone". But the same option is accessible on factory unlocked or jailbroken iPhones. This allows you to manually set your APN and use whatever data plan you want to.

The APN you use will depend on the data plan you are using. The APN you mentioned "portalnmms" is part of the Vodafone Live WAP service. I am not sure if you can access everything with this APN, I cannot comment as I do not use this as my data APN. I use the Mobile Connect data plan and in my network settings I use "www" as my data APN and "portalnmms" as the APN for my MMS service. From my experience of Vodafone data plans, I can tell you that they usually charge you for all traffic over the WAP APN whereas their unlimited data plans use the "www" APN.

I use a Factory Unlocked 3GS. I too was told a simple 'NO' from the Vodafone CC for the current available plans. But still I sent a request for MI100 & it got activated.

For the settings, I used iPhone Configuration Utility to manually set them.

I use a Jailbroken iPhone and I am on the Vodafone Mobile Connect (unlimited plan). I actually got the VMC plan several years ago, before I got my iPhone. I was using a Sony Erricsson P990i at the time. When I got my iPhone I just configured it and continued using the same plan. I have seen that when you tell Vodafone CC that you are using an iPhone they will force you to take an iPhone data plan and wont allow you to activate any other plans. Infact I received a call from Vodafone last week offering to move me to their new iPhone data plan which was Rs 599 for unlimited data. I refused their offer as I am on a corporate VMC data plan and I pay Rs 399 for unlimited data. You might want to call them and ask about the new plan if you are interested. I have used the iPhone Configuration Utility as well. It creates a profile file which you can install on your iPhone. There is also a much simpler way of doing this. You can go to a website on your iPhone - unlockit.co.nz , (you need to have data connectivity to do this - wifi/gprs/3G) select country, carrier and it creates a profile with the default data APN and you can install it directly on your phone. It also allows you to manually set an APN and create a profile. I currently have my iPhone APN manually configured for my Vodafone data and I have profile installed for my BSNL 3G connection. I am testing out a dual SIM adaptor which allows me to swap my connections through the settings and not have to swap out the SIM cards. I've actually hacked my iPhone and others' so many times that I can do most of these things in my sleep. lol..

I use a Factory Unlocked 3GS. I too was told a simple 'NO' from the Vodafone CC for the current available plans. But still I sent a request for MI100 & it got activated.

For the settings, I used iPhone Configuration Utility to manually set them.

Perfect! Just the man I was looking for.
I have a FU iphone 4. Activated MI850 on the phone (after confirming with the idiots at CC that it would provide all features of VMC).
Now, the Internet worked for a few hours on 3G, but it stopped!

Now, it just doesn't work unless I set the proxy as 10.10.1.100:9401.
However, with these settings, apps (WhatsApp, AppStore even etc) don't work! Only Mail and Safari works!
This, as per CC is actually only for Vodafone Live and not MI!!!

What settings have you used?
Would really appreciate a reply to this...
Am stuck with a bill and no service!!!

Perfect! Just the man I was looking for.
I have a FU iPhone 4. Activated MI850 on the phone (after confirming with the idiots at CC that it would provide all features of VMC).
Now, the Internet worked for a few hours on 3G, but it stopped!

Now, it just doesn't work unless I set the proxy as 10.10.1.100:9401.
However, with these settings, apps (WhatsApp, AppStore even etc) don't work! Only Mail and Safari works!
This, as per CC is actually only for Vodafone Live and not MI!!!

I would suggest you get one of the Vodafone Mobile Connect plans activated. Vodafone Live is a limited data service. Its basically a WAP service. Not all your apps will be able to access data on Vodafone Live.

I would suggest you get one of the Vodafone Mobile Connect plans activated. Vodafone Live is a limited data service. Its basically a WAP service. Not all your apps will be able to access data on Vodafone Live.

Let me clarify. I did have VMC active on my phone. Then I decided I wanted 3G. So I confirmed with CC that Mobile Internet 850 would give me VMC features on a 3G plan. So, now I have 3G, but unless I use the setting for a proxy (which is normally associated with The crappy Vodafone Live, I can't get any Internet access at all! Despite using the www APN which is used for VMC. With this proxy though, only Mail and Safari are working. No apps however are able to access the Internet.

This is specially irritating since apps and everything worked fine for a few hours before suddenly everything stopped working!

If I use pure VMC settings - that's to say, I use www APN without the proxy, then I get no Internet access at all. So, is there anyone out there who has been able to get the settings to use 3G Internet properly? This is massively irritating for me, specially since I travel a lot and I had no issues at all in the trial period...

To start off what I suggested, you would need a program like either Phone Browser or Total Commander. I use both and they work. You will also need a plist editor program. This is basically an editor which will allow you to open and edit property list files. You can google and try to find them.

Once you find and download the programs, follow the steps below...

1. Install the programs on to your computer.
2. Connect your iPhone to your computer then launch the Phone Browser or Total Commander program.
3. Once you see the directories/ files on the iPhone, go to - System/Library/CarrierBundles 4. Look for the folder named Vodafone_in (it should be somewhere at the bottom of the list) 5. Save a copy of the Vodafone_in folder on to your computer. Create a backup copy of the folder.
6. Launch the plist editor program and open the file named "carrier.plist" (this file will be in the Vodafone_in folder that you just copied to your computer).
7. In the above file look for the section which lists the APN. It will look like this:
apn
iphone

8. Delete the word "iphone" and replace it with "www", without the quotes. (www is the APN for Vodafone Mobile Connect). It should now look like this:
apn

9. Scroll further down in the file and you should see the APN setting listed again (this I for the tethering option). Change it here also.
10. Save the file.
12. Go to the Vodafone_in folder on your iPhone. Delete the carrier.plist file.
13. Copy the file you just modified from your computer to your iPhone in the Vodafone_in folder.
14. Reboot your iPhone.
15. Insert a Vodafone SIM card which has Mobile Connect data plan activated and test to confirm that data services work. Try accessing a website thru Safari.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. I have done this not only on my iPhone but also on several others. So this should work for you too.

I did not find the folder mentioned by you - - System/Library/CarrierBundles

Please find the screenshot below.

http://img638.imageshack.us/i/20110422230801.png/

I used settings through iPhone Configuration Utility as per this thread:
Vodafone India: Set up internet / GPRS on iphone - it worked

But yesterday my net was not working either. Don't know what mess these people are creating for iPhone users. I have been tweeting them with all sorts of messages (DM as well as tweets), I suggest you all too follow up & frustrate these guys to think for us.

Back