How to configure DD Client In Ubuntu for Open DNS

• Thread starter Thread starter chandru155
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 926

chandru155

ISP
BSNL
i need help regarding configuration of DD Client In Ubuntu for Open DNS. Can anyone tell me the step by step instructions.

There is no need of any client in Linux. just setup account at DNS-O-Matic | Distribute dynamic IP changes to multiple services (dnsomatic.com) (run by OpenDNS ppl and works with OpenDNS username/password) and put this line in ur ip-up.local file:

[noparse]
curl --interface $4 -m 60 -u USERNAME:PASSWORD 'https://updates.dnsomatic.com/nic/update?hostname=NETWORKLABEL' &
[/noparse]

replace USERNAME, PASSWORD and NETWORKLABEL as per ur account.

added advantage is that u can avail other benefits of dnsomatic

its was clearly given the dyndns.org if u use it ........... it even creates the script for u ...

There is no need of any client in Linux. just setup account at DNS-O-Matic | Distribute dynamic IP changes to multiple services (dnsomatic.com) (run by OpenDNS ppl and works with OpenDNS username/password) and put this line in ur ip-up.local file:

[noparse]
curl --interface $4 -m 60 -u USERNAME:PASSWORD 'https://updates.dnsomatic.com/nic/update?hostname=NETWORKLABEL' &
[/noparse]

replace USERNAME, PASSWORD and NETWORKLABEL as per ur account.

added advantage is that u can avail other benefits of dnsomatic

looks like a handy command... i wonder if ubuntu even has ip-up.local, perhaps putting into /etc/rc.local might work?

and what does the " $4 " part indicate?

ip-up.local or ip-up is called by pppd, rc.local (which run once at system start) doesnt come in picture.pppd calls ip-up script everytime it connects to internet.$4 indicates which ppp interface (ppp0, ppp1 etc - mostly ppp0)man pppd for more info--interface option of curl tells it to use that interface for outgoing connection, dnsomatic sees originating IP and automatically updates IPs in opendns, dyndns etc.PS: I am using this method from 2 yrs now, never faced any problem

what if i dont dial from OS and use dhcp instead of pppd? is ip-up also called then?

Back