How to do this....in a cheapest way possible....

shashankjee

ISP
MTNL
Hi friends....this is my very first day on this forum.....i read a lots of strings about mtnl's connections in the past few odd hours..... and got a pretty nice idea of this forum..........

my problem is not exactly a problem , let me explain this....
i live in Hostel complex in delhi.... and we have sify wires running all over the campus........people are connected on LAN.....

I had that connection till now....and now switched to MTNL's Tri B Combo Unlimited Plan.......which currently is shared by me and my friend....

we are using the modem provided by MTNL ( some MT882... adsl2) IT HAD 2 INTERFACES usb AND Ethernet .... i m connected using USB interface and my friend is using the Ethernet interface.......thus we both are on LAN...
somewhat like this

http://images.orkut.com/orkut/albums2/ATgAAABxwcIN6xEdmTobeKJt_G7XLDVBJq_VjUlyneiQjvbhgulg2crKWFEHmtTca9sJi4nB6Ue0vnHWemf5Y789NRHjAJtU9VDQb4i2pS0ZfFJFhCyK39WRNow i wish to connect us with the already existing Sify network in hostel....... dat is pretty possible even if i dont use the sify connection ... (I just want the LAN facility.....which existed even when sify expired......)

And i have a empty LAN port at my end......so just thought to put this in also....... but not sure if it will work or not........and totally unsure if my friend would get into the sify network or not

also one other friend of mine was interested to add on .....
so can somebody give any suggestions.........
i worked out somethings here but totally unaware of how to do this .....or even if this is possible........i just doodled them here.....

i have totally no idea of how to do this......
and this might be the case if some other friends move in too....with some router ar switch....plz tell.....

i think this would be a much cleaner option then........

and somebody please tell what should be"???"....... just remember this is the cheapest thing to work with........

Further reading : How to Build a Small Network Using a Broadband Router | Hardware Secrets all pages.
Data:
sify connection ==>> LAN say 20 users including A &B
MtnlBB ===>> A & B using modem SmartAxMT882 usb and ethernet port
( sharing files ?) connect to internet SmartAX MT-882 ADSL MODEM MENU
And I have a empty LAN port at my end.
Query : 1. which is the extra unit you have ?
2. Are you trying to connect two ISP's to A & B. and to everybody ( sify LAN) ?
3. You want MTNL to be shared only by A & B and possibly C, ( already In sify LAN)and at the same time prevent others in Sify LAN access to MTNL unlimited Broadband ?
Update : 1135 I am reading your post again !
Explain SIFY LAN set up. cable or adsl router/switch. Option C can be modified.

hiyou have explained your problem very nicely...you can use a hub or a switch... then you can connect your comp. your friends comp. and the sify network in the lan ports on the hub...connect your mtnl connection in the wan port of the hub/switch...by this you share the sify lan+local lan and also add other computers (if required)...this setup is simplest but has a problem... your mtnl connection would be available on the rest of sify network that is the people connected to sify lan (offcourse only of your hostel) would be able to use your connection...to solve this problem you can block the internet connection to the sify network ip...this is the cheapest method as a hub is available at very low price say 300 or 400 bucks...hope it is clear to you...

well even i liked ur style of explaining ur problem but i dont have any solution for you:(

Present situation: OK.Option C " 'leftist' friend" also connects to sify. Your third ("front") friend cannot join ! Other friends in Sify LAN cannot access MTNL BB. Para two: You and your friend will be connected to MTNL, and if it fails SIFY will take over. When you want to join other friends in SIFY LAN switch off the modem. Para three : SIFY : How sify line is connected ? Directly or from another modem Cable or ADSL2+?May be the present set up , will continue. if working OK. Blue Box remains. Is it a HUb ?Part four: Your third(front?) friend can share BB if a 4 port router or wireless router ( Netgear), is connected to MT882 . ( install a Wireless PCI card in his computer to surf internet via MTNL BB. ) or exchange MT882 for a 4lan port modem/ cum router. drafted 11:22 PM 2/15/2008PS: Only your third"front" has to spend some money !!!

Further reading : How to Build a Small Network Using a Broadband Router | Hardware Secrets all pages.
Data:
sify connection ==>> LAN say 20 users including A &B
MtnlBB ===>> A & B using modem SmartAxMT882 usb and ethernet port
( sharing files ?) connect to internet SmartAX MT-882 ADSL MODEM MENU
Query : 1. which is the extra unit you have ?
2. Are you trying to connect two ISP's to A & B. and to everybody ( sify LAN) ?
3. You want MTNL to be shared only by A & B and possibly C, ( already In sify LAN)and at the same time prevent others in Sify LAN access to MTNL unlimited Broadband ?
Update : 1135 I am reading your post again !
Explain SIFY LAN set up. cable or adsl router/switch. Option C can be modified.
Hey ...
thank for appraise ,
i m extremely sorry for not being regular.......for i was out of town,......

1. the extra lan port is the built in port that comes with the motherboard......

2. the extra unit is to be bought.... and could be anything you tell me.....

3. im trying to use mtnl as my isp and sify just to get connected to other guys........and i seriously not want other people on sify network to use the mtnl bandwidth ...

4. "exchange MT882 for a 4lan port modem/ cum
router." ---

can this be seriously done.... who can exchange it.....the mtnl wallas......???

Hey ...
thank for appraise ,
i m extremely sorry for not being regular.......for i was out of town,......

1. the extra lan port is the built in port that comes with the motherboard......

2. the extra unit is to be bought.... and could be anything you tell me.....

3. im trying to use mtnl as my isp and sify just to get connected to other guys........and i seriously not want other people on sify network to use the mtnl bandwidth ...

4. "exchange MT882 for a 4lan port modem/ cum
router." ---

can this be seriously done.... who can exchange it.....the mtnl wallas......???

First of all leave out option D. That can be dangerous, your friends can use the MTNL bandwidth if you use routing mode on ADSL modem.

If you just need Point 3 then option C is fine and cheap if you already have one port in Sify network free. Just connect your onboard LAN card to the Sify LAN free port and give IP (belonging to Sify LAN network range) to your NIC.Just dont give any default gateway to the NIC. And it would be better if you could change the IP network range that you are using to connect to your ADSL modem from the Sify IP range although thats not neccessary.

Back