• Thread starter Thread starter sa_kiran
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 1,196

sa_kiran

Regular
ISP
MTNL
I have BSNL Home 500 plan. I use it download music and movies, between 0200 and 0800 hours :p I use utorrent client, configured to work in this interval.However, there is a lot of activity (particularly download) even after 0800 hours, even with utorrent closed and no other program running. I have run thorough virus scan several times. But the problem continues :huh:Does anybody face this kind of problem? Can somebody throw some light on this?

Your modem/router. Is it WIFI router ?check your usage when you were not active, but system on.

I have an entry level ADSL modem, no WIFI.I notice that this happens only when utorrent has been running. If the connection is on and no programs are running, then there is no data transfer.I have noticed another anomaly. The data transfer shown by utorrent and the network connection (of Windows) never match. Windows always shows higher usage than utorrent (even though no other program are running).

LAN transfers and normal internet usage counts in the windows counter but doesnt for utorrent..does rebooting the modem stop the blinking of lights??

How to find Monthly Dataone bandwidth usage
Use 1.1. to monitor activity daily This will give total download/upload also.

Ref:https://broadband.forum/bsnl-broadband/22290-bsnl-broadband-billing-problems/#post184528 page 7 post 69.

The figure shown by this utility matches the one shown by Windows, almost. But the difference between this and the utorrent one is quite significant :huh:, sometimes 200-300MB in download for an overall download of 1 GB.

What can be the reason?

LAN transfers and normal internet usage counts in the windows counter but doesnt for utorrent..does rebooting the modem stop the blinking of lights??

I don't have any manual of my ADSL modem. How can I reboot the modem? Mine is a very basic modem from PRONET.

@members/sa_kiran/
I have an entry level ADSL modem
1.Check your adsl modem here. If you have purchased it
elsewhere mention model.
BSNL BROADBAND MAIN MENU
2. The usage data shown by BSNL portal is FINAL.
3. If you are on "Dialup" Bridged" Wanminiport , all Ports are open,
and there could be some other activity to access your computer..
Use Firewall and AV programs.
Check in Google for open Port scan programs.
3. The other B/W meters are there to cross check
whether any unusual activity in the internet.
This can happen when you have too many applications in
the Start menu and they update automatically. Windows Update
usually once in a month.
4. Select a BW meter with a graph to show data D/L AND U/L.
5. Search in Google for program to check open Ports in your computer.

This happens. It is normal, consumes a little bandwidth and will not happen when you restart the ADSL modem. I assume it is utorrent client sending some traffic to peers or something.

yes!! I have experienced the same problem when i was on Windows XP..while doing voice chats windows counter shows that am downloading at the rate of 40KBps while max speed i get is 27KBps..:confused::oVista's data counter is perfect..There is not much difference.:thumb:@thread starterMaybe the process of seeding is still going on when Utorrent process is running..Can u see the data downloading when u close Utorrent completely??anyways, check Task manager and end the Utorrent process if it's running there.:confused:And yes!!..always use a Firewall.In case if u dont need to use Bandwidth then u can completely block it.:cool2:

This happens. It is normal, consumes a little bandwidth and will not happen when you restart the ADSL modem. I assume it is utorrent client sending some traffic to peers or something.

I have counted seeding as well. In both download and upload, the count shown by utorrent and Windows differ significantly.

As suggested by essbebe, I will check for all open ports and close unnecessary ones. I have firewall enabled from my AV (Quickheal).

Thanks both of you for your suggestions :thumb:

Recently, I upgraded to utorrent 1.8. I have not found any great improvement over the last version. However, I noticed one weird thing this morning. One of the downloads, total filesize 654 MB, 57% completed and download is going on at 43 kB/s, ETA shown is over 6 days :confused: This is not momentary, it continues to show this value for a long time :cry:

Back