Indian Railways Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter ItsMe
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 794
  • Views Views 101,745
I'd like to say I could take some credit for this (even if I can't, it's still great news)!!Had a run in when I was on my whirlwind tour in April/May. I'd given a virtual ticket on the Mumbai-Hyderabad route which was accepted, then the Hyderabad-Chennai route it was not accepted, so after creating a ruckus and showing my virtual copy of the ticket which didn't have the "you must carry a paper copy" written on it, the TC quietly decided not to issue the fine :)

If it was an e-ticket, you could have just emailed it to them, and they could have printed it?

Well parents know nothing abt emailing. And there was no cybercafe nearby. One they found asked for 75Rs!!

Since there was still 3days left, we decided to send ticket by courier that wud cost just 15Rs!

----------

Update:
Sorry 50Rs fine is mentioned on the ticket but word VRM is added as well. Here is the text:

The accommodation booked is not transferable and is valid only if one of the ID card noted above is presented during the journey. The
ERS/VRM along with the valid ID proof in original would be verified by TTE with the name and PNR on the chart. If the passenger fail to
produce/display ERS/VRM due to any eventuality (loss, damaged mobile/laptop etc.) but has the prescribed original proof of identity, a
penalty of Rs.50/- per ticket as applicable to such cases will be levied. The ticket checking staff On board/Off board will give Excess Fare
Ticket for the same.

last month i forgot to take a printout as it was a hectic day . i just showed the sms that i recieved from irctc plus my id card and i was allowed to travel . i have done the same for two more times after that . has anyone else tried this ??

@ Akash......Yeah i also meant saving a copy on cell. just that it cud also be done directly thru cell.

Indian Railways is looking at spending Rs 39,110 crore in the next 5 years for telecom and signaling. The current turmoil faced by the UPA government after presenting 2012-13 rail budget is likely to add pressure on all telecom expansion plans envisaged for 2020. Without implementing the proposals in the current budget, including increase in passenger fare, future telecom expansion will be in jeopardy.

Indian Railways telecom plans for 2020 hang in balance

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/rail-budget-2013-pawan-kumar-bansal-proposes-better-and-safer-facilities-financial-sustainability/375206-7-256.html

[color=#3c3d3d;]Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal presented what is the first Railway Budget by a Congress minister in 17 years on Tuesday. Claiming that the losses of the Railways were mounting, Bansal said that the gigantic network must be financially sustainable for the benefit of the passengers. "The rail network needs to be expanded at a faster rate. The freight and passenger fares have to be based on economic realities. The growth of railways is linked to the growth of country," he said. The minister said that the estimated losses of the Railways stood at Rs 24,000 crore in 2012-13.[/color]
[color=rgb(60,61,61);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;]A thorn in the Railways' side has been its very own website, that, according to Bansal's own admission, causes inordinate delay. Bansal said that to deal with the problem, the Ministry will put in place a "next-gen e-ticketing system". In this system, up to 7,260 tickets can be issued per minute. The present capacity is only 2,000. Bansal announced that Internet booking will now be provided from 12.30 am to 11.30 pm.[/color]
[color=rgb(60,61,61);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;]In order to make the trains more technology-friendly, Bansal said that free wi-fi facility would be provided in select trains. SMS alerts service will be rolled out in some time to intimate passengers about their reservation status. Bansal also said that the Railways would use Aadhar database for bookings and validation of passengers[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial;]"67 new Express trains to be introduced," says Bansal.[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial;]"Superfast charges and Tatkal fees to be hiked," says Bansal.[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial;]"Marginal hike in freight charges, no hike in passenger fares," says the minister.[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial;]"Food testing labs for food in railways. ISO certification for all rail kitchen," says Bansal.[/color]
"Wheelchair-friendly compartments in the offing, similar arrangements at the stations," says the minister.

Back