Is it possible for DNS server to change automatically?

• Thread starter Thread starter ganeshran
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 5,884

ganeshran

Regular
ISP
Airtel Wired
Is it possible for Airtel or someone to change DNS servers automatically on my router setup page.
Every two weeks or so my ipv4 DNS servers automatically change from Google to some random IP which doesnt respond and takes my internet connection down. Is this a sign that my router is hacked or is Airtel responsible for the IP change

Yes, they can change it remotely.

Upvote 0
AFAIK service provider cannot change router settings unless "CPE WAN Management Protocol (CWMP)" is enabled on your router.
Beetel routers do have that setting. try disabling it.

Upvote 0
chromaniac said:
You have that shitty Airtel NetXpress thing installed?
hmmm...What is NetExpress? Is it on the router or the PC. If its on the PC, I don't have it installed
Abhijeet Nagawade said:
AFAIK service provider cannot change router settings unless "CPE WAN Management Protocol (CWMP)" is enabled on your router.
Beetel routers do have that setting. try disabling it.
I have one setting called the TR-069 setting which sounds like something you are saying. Though it has a different name - Auto Configuration Service. That screen has the username password. of the router page. Maybe I can remove that info to prevent this stupid IP change
P.S: My router is D-Link DL 2750U

Upvote 0
ganeshran said:
I have one setting called the TR-069 setting which sounds like something you are saying. Though it has a different name - Auto Configuration Service. That screen has the username password. of the router page. Maybe I can remove that info to prevent this stupid IP change
P.S: My router is D-Link DL 2750U
CPE WAN Management Protocol (CWMP), TR-069, ACS anything just try disabling it.
Don't remove the values (username, pass, URL, etc) may be you'll need it someday for some troubleshooting.

Upvote 0

Back