Is there a substitute for Huawei and other Chinese ONT's and Routers?

• Thread starter Thread starter Audioctor
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 7,396
ISP
Reliance Jio
Hello Everyone,
Recently I had the opportunity to explore the market for various ONT's as I wanted to replace my BSNL Nokia-Siemens ONT for its lack of functionality. I was influenced by various discussions elsewhere in this forum.
Ultimately I got myself I Huawei ONT because of its reliability and versatility in terms of functions (As discussed elsewhere I used it to configure Voip on my IPPBX).
In this process I realised that not many good options are available in terms of ONT's and Routers in the open market ( I got the Huawei ONT through IndiaMART, as there are no authorized dealers; for obvious reasons ofcourse). Most available options are also ultimately Chinese products. There are no matching offerings from the likes of Nokia, Netgear, D-Link, Cisco etc.
This brings me to my question: In the light of current Government policy Huawei and other such Chinese products would ( and I feel rightfully SHOULD) be removed from the Indian market. In that case are there any substitutes, currently as well as in pipeline, to replace the versatile Huawei et al. in the Indian market or for that matter even the International market?
To have a good internet experience, the consumer does deserve good hardware.....

This is a technical forum, please dont bring politics in here. Lot many people will agree with you and a lot more may disagree. By its very nature politics is divisive.

There are offerings from Mikrotik and Ubiquiti which may be useful to look at.

I am not bothered about politics. I apologize if it has hurt any sentiments.
My intention was to start a purely technical discussion as what options we have, as consumers..

Cringe bait, anyway.
1. There are many other options but they are expensive.
2. We have an open market?
3. There are many "authorised" dealers. Authorised by who?
4. Most ZTE made things are labeled "Made in India" and some even have funding from the same government under "Make in India" or whatever program, says a lot about your government policy.
5. Why did you buy one if you don't want anyone else to have it? Rules for thee but not for me.

In short there are, you can go with them if you don't mind spending. The compatibility issue with ISP side is also there.

For example, in the process of configuring Voip on IPPBX, I created a Domain specific Satic route on my Huawei ONT. Someone has mentioned in another discussion that his ONT did not support such a feature. Then, Huawei allows to change the ONT serial number for registering on the fibre network. I am not sure which other ONTs allow this.
I sure there are a lot such helpful features which distinguish the Huawei ONTs from most others in the market presently.
So I just wanted to find out other products that can match Huawei. For the sake of finding options..... As consumers we should have options to choose from...

Cringe bait, anyway.
1. There are many other options but they are expensive.
2. We have an open market?
3. There are many "authorised" dealers. Authorised by who?
4. Most ZTE made things are labeled "Made in India" and some even have funding from the same government under "Make in India" or whatever program, says a lot about your government policy.
5. Why did you buy one if you don't want anyone else to have it? Rules for thee but not for me.
I never said I bought it by choice. I had to choose between Syrotech, Digisol, Netlink and Huawei. Obviously Huawei was the best amongst these. There are no other options. Had I got an option from Netgear, D-Link, Cisco, even Asus, in the price, my choice could well have been different.
This is very reason I would like to explore more options with similar quality and price, not necessarily for myself, but for everyone to know and benefit from.

Back