Keeping mobile phone number active while abroad

• Thread starter Thread starter kingkong
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 70,893
trai guidelines on ‘Deactivation of Cellular Mobile Telephone Connections due to Non-usage’ - check here

From Vodafone Website:
As per govt. regulations, for connections without any usage (voice/video calls, Outgoing SMS, internet usage ,VAS purchases with balance) for 90 days, following actions are liable to be performed by VIL:
i) For subscribers with less than Rs. 20 balance, all services will be deactivated pending recharge of Rs.20 for a period of 15 days. Number will be disconnected on non-recharge within this period.
ii) For subscribers with more than Rs. 20 balance, Automatic Number Retention Scheme will be put into effect - Rs. 20 will be deducted and services will continue for 30 days. If there is no usage till the end of this period, i) or ii) may come into effect, depending on balance.

kingkong said:
how long back was that ?
it is interesting that even though u only received SMS, ur number remained active.
I have also heard that the companies deactivate numbers only when they need new numbers, and not all the time.
It was in 2010. I was in UK from Jan to Oct, and my sim was always connected to network via roaming on some random UK carrier. I recharged only once online and never made any call/sms/data from my side. I keep getting sms from family, and some promotional sms. I had some incoming calls/miss calls, but I never received any calls, so my balance was never deducted till I returned back.

Back