Leased Line -Dedicated Ethernet

• Thread starter Thread starter mtnltriband
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 7,379

mtnltriband

ISP
sefs
I am looking for a 99.9% uptime internet solution . I cannot bear downtime of even 2 seconds.Can you please advise an ideal effective solution along with cost details.I am considering leased line / ISDN and dedicated ethernet service ( enterprise ). Please comment what will be better for me quality and cost wise.Can any one tell me how much will 64kbps leased line cost me per month alongwith other charges.Does any one knows about dedicated ethernet connectivity ( enterprise) with SLA where the ISP guarntees 100% uptime? Please let me know what will be the cost for the same.I am also considering ISDN , but some one said me that even in ISDN there will be call drops and internet will be not 100% uptime. Please comment how will be ISDN for me.Further can any one tell me whether the Business broadband plans of airtel are 99% reliable ? Is airtels busines broadband internet 100% uptime?I will be highly thankful to you all for helping me. Thanks in advance.

As of now, no ISP will give you written guarantee of 99.9% uptime

that IS the reason why we have so few datacenters in india.airtel gives u 100 rupee refund if the problem is not solved in four working hours. that's the only thing i know. any other service provider gives any refunds?

no i meant, he cant wait 2 seconds, how wud he wait for 4hrs and that too compensation of just 100Rs, that too he might have to prove first.

Amish,
is this possible....
the line that we use post splitter for phone in MTNL ADSL can be connected to dial up modem and can we use that connection as back up connection ?

Line----splitter-----adsl port to adsl modem & phone port to dial up modem..

will this setup work......I know they will not work simultaneously but can we use the dial up as back up ?

well u don't have to prove anything on airtel. u log in a ticket u get a ticket number. they give u a time that is four hour business days. if the problem is not resolved, u just call in and ask for the compensation. it happens automatically. i never asked for one in one of my cases but it was still adjusted in the bill for that month.well dialup can always be used as a backup. but the hassles of using it is not even worth it.

yes u can have dialup as backup. even EDGE/3G(coming soon) connection as backup too.

I am looking for a 99.9% uptime internet solution . I cannot bear downtime of even 2 seconds.
You can't bear 2 seconds of downtime? That equates to 0.00007716% [2/(60*60*24*30)*100] of downtime per month. I dont think you get that with any ISP in the world, not on a written down SLA anyways.

I am considering leased line / ISDN and dedicated ethernet service ( enterprise ). Please comment what will be better for me quality and cost wise.

ISDN is pretty much old technology - it's restrictive in terms of the bandwidth. You might want to look at a leased line circuit. Even there the SLAs don't go beyond 97% if I remember right.

Does any one knows about dedicated ethernet connectivity ( enterprise) with SLA where the ISP guarntees 100% uptime? Please let me know what will be the cost for the same.

We're talking 2 different things here: type of internet connection(ie say, home broadband vs leased line ) AND media(telephone line, cable, fibre, copper pair etc)
I'm not sure if any enterprise level internet connection uses ethernet as a medium. What you must probably be looking for is something that comes by fibre. As I said even there you're not assured 100% uptime. If you really want that sort of uptime you must be making provisions for redundancy - ie get 2 service providers and configure one as a backup/failover.

I am also considering ISDN , but some one said me that even in ISDN there will be call drops and internet will be not 100% uptime. Please comment how will be ISDN for me.
As far as I know ISDN these days is used only for PBX phone systems(ie supporting multiple numbers on 1 phone line kind of stuff). It might be used as a backup internet connection but perhaps not the main connection.

Further can any one tell me whether the Business broadband plans of airtel are 99% reliable ? Is airtels busines broadband internet 100% uptime?

No they are not but do check their business plans. Most issues with reliability are to do with the last mile. If your last mile provision has problems you might have disconnections. My airtel home broadband has given better uptimes than my office's leased line precisely for this reason. Try going with a provider on fibre if you can help it.

even data centers don't give a guarantee that you won't get even 2 seconds of downtime :D

Back