Level playing field is essential: Tata Sky MD

• Thread starter Thread starter Jignesh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 5,149
As far as transponder is concerned I have heard Tata Sky has the most number of transponders 12. Does HD channel require the combination of MPEG4 and transponder space to fit in? Sundirect is the only provider for now How many channels with HD content does it have? or all the channels telecasted are HD enabled.

HD tramission requires higher bandwidth that tatasky lacks, I hope they have some plans for HD transmission and yes TS has 12 KU BAND transponders, dont forget that TS is on MPEG-4, so TS lacks transponder space.

Coming to sundirect there are 6-7 HD channels on SD. Not all channels are in HD. Few of them are
NCG HD
COLORS
Discovery HD
SUN TV HD

@shaileshsNot all channels are HD enabled, from what I can recall there are 2-3 regional channels and Colors. I also think that Max is also there.

Will HD viewing will require new STB? I have Tata Sky MPEG4 Black ST box :(

Not necessary If Tatasky's MPEG4 based Black STB has HDMI connectivity.

^ You seem to be the sole sensible person here, so I would rather not go into details. Enjoy your Tata Sky connection.
Even i don't find any non sense in what Tatasky CEO said.
I think you don't want to make any sense of it on what Tatasky CEO said.
He says DTH operators are driving the digitalization in TV viewing trend in India with heavy financial burden.
So he requested the government to remove the double taxation to encourage the Digitalization growth.

As far as transponder is concerned I have heard Tata Sky has the most number of transponders 12. Does HD channel require the combination of MPEG4 and transponder space to fit in? Sundirect is the only provider for now How many channels with HD content does it have? or all the channels telecasted are HD enabled.

Transponders correspond to the amount of bandwidth an operator has, unfortunately it seems SatCodx (now SatBeams) is not displaying channel bandwidth otherwise we could have compared the amount of bandwidth taken up by a (MPEG2) SD channel (IIRC 1 - 4 Mbps) compared to a (MPEG4) HD channel.
Tata Sky will almost certainly start with a handful of HD channels in a premium package and of course a new MPEG4 complaint STB will be required.

Transponders correspond to the amount of bandwidth an operator has, unfortunately it seems SatCodx (now SatBeams) is not displaying channel bandwidth otherwise we could have compared the amount of bandwidth taken up by a (MPEG2) SD channel (IIRC 1 - 4 Mbps) compared to a (MPEG4) HD channel.
Tata Sky will almost certainly start with a handful of HD channels in a premium package and of course a new MPEG4 complaint STB will be required.

Current customers ( those who do not have Tata Sky Black box MPEG4 enabled) who have MPEG2 boxes will they not be able to enjoy HD channel viewing. Old customer's too should derive benefits of new offerings.

Current customers ( those who do not have Tata Sky Black box MPEG4 enabled) who have MPEG2 boxes will they not be able to enjoy HD channel viewing. Old customer's too should derive benefits of new offerings.

That is not technically feasible unless Tatasky installs special transcoder devices in the set-top-box

What do the members think the price of HD will be? and What should the expected price actually be (subject to approximation)! Sundirect charges almost 10,000/-. Will Co.s go for competitive pricing with many DTH providers soon to release HDTV?

Yes. There will be competitive price as the government will force them for the commonwealth games!

If new entrants keep the price low it will be very beneficial for customers and this will also impact SUN DTH to come down in the price it is charging.

Back