linux bsnl broadband connection problem

• Thread starter Thread starter arai
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 7,256
In XP , right click on the lan connection icon in the system tray, and go into the properties.
There in TCP/IP settings see if you are using DHCP( ie determine IP address automatically) or you have static IP address, gateway and dns settings entered.

If its dhcp, just enable the dhcp daemon in ubuntu( refer www.ubuntuforums.org for that) in network settings menu in ubuntu and you are done.

Else better way is to setup the router in bridge mode to enable pppoe( its described somewhere in the MTNL Triband forum) and run "sudo pppoeconf" at the terminal to setup pppoe dialing.

Originally posted by aniketvb@Feb 5 2006, 10:12 PM
In XP , right click on the lan connection icon in the system tray, and go into the properties.
There in TCP/IP settings see if you are using DHCP( ie determine IP address automatically) or you have static IP address, gateway and dns settings entered.

If its dhcp, just enable the dhcp daemon in ubuntu( refer www.ubuntuforums.org for that) in network settings menu in ubuntu and you are done.

Else better way is to setup the router in bridge mode to enable pppoe( its described somewhere in the MTNL Triband forum) and run \"sudo pppoeconf\" at the terminal to setup pppoe dialing.
[snapback]41483[/snapback]
[/quote]

yes it is dhcp. i did as u said.

i am glad to say that bittorrent is working now. but gaim is not working. :rolleyes: :unsure:

There was a post and the link for the linux pppoe dialer few days back
I downloaded it but now I can't find the post so giving you the uploaded link.

http://link-removed.de/files/12967562/downloaded_zips.zip.html

Originally posted by aniketvb@Feb 5 2006, 10:57 AM
How do you connect in WinXp??
Tell me exactly how you do in in WinXp , I will tell you the corresponding steps in Ubuntu.
[snapback]41380[/snapback]
[/quote]

This is offtopic. I just wanted your opinion about Ubuntu. Is it good? I am using SuSE10.0 at the moment but I also have Ubuntu 5.10 CDs. Shall I install it and kick SuSE?

And does Firefox work normally in Ubuntu and how are the fonts? Do they look like the ones in Windows? Also, do the multimedia keys on keyboard work?

I asked so many questions but I really need suggestions.

Ubuntu is good , but if you are a KDE fan, you will not like it.The base system and GUI config utilities in Ubuntu rock otherwise, but not as polished looking as YAST in SUSEAlso Ubuntu is a lot faster than SUSE coz it is much less bloated.

Back