Merger of Reliance Digital TV DTH and Sun Direct DTH

• Thread starter Thread starter vinay_kumar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 15,152
chromaniac said:
lol. mtnl outsourced the thing. airtel on the other hand managed it very nicely at least in the early stages.
i am not alone who loved their timeshift feature. but eventually they never added new channels. kept on removing channels from timeshift. there was no HD roadmap... service quality went down big time. and blah.
seems like they were sharing the infra.it is very risky in indian market to invest big time in building seperate channel for IP.

airtel sharing their infra? :
they delivered iptv on their broadband lines. it was a fully fledged airtel operated platform. you paid for iptv through your broadband bill.
the same connection provided voice, data and television. it was pretty cool. of course the quality of cables became a problem eventually they could not support 4mbps on iptv connections because they had to reserve 6mbps for IPTV feed.

Well that is sort of confirmed news. The article talked about ongoing talks. Not sure if it is in mainstream news media right now.

It is in mainstream news. Read about both sell out yesterday. Globcom is being sold over the years with 80% with immediate effect and 20% after an year. Rcom will be an investor after that.
Rcom is trying to clear its Rs 37000Cr debt that it has accumulated.
So what i feel is maybe landing fee might get slashed as the international player might bring in competition where only TATA, Airtel and relaince had monoply

vinay_kumar said:
Reliance Communications is the second Indian telecom operator, which is facing tough competition due to the ongoing digitization move, to decide to exit from the DTH business.
Err.. Maybe I am forgetting, but who is the first...

It was going to happen. Globally only 2-3 DTH operators are present in every market. Only in India we had so many operators operating DTH service. But eventually few of them would fail to survive. But I thought it would be Videocon or SUN, who would sell their business as they are the ones who seem to have less financial backing compared to Ambanis/Tatas or Airtel. BTW there was also news that Airtel is planning to sell 25% stake of their DTH business, and even TATA may sell stake of 80% which it owns in Tata Sky to some third party or to STAR (who owns 20%).

Videocon at least played their game right. Focused on critical aspects like quality of service which has given them a good reputation in the market. Too bad, Tata Sky still dominates the popularity charts. Videocon usually benefits from word of mouth publicity.

mega_processor said:
.They were also officially planning to acquire licences for new satellite phone technology which would make satellite phones and internets common in India at an affordable price.
You do realize Sat phones are no where in the world are promoted to be used as a common phone

Back