microsoft websites are not opening on my computer

• Thread starter Thread starter Debdinno
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 23,044
I've been having a weird problem the last few days. The microsoft.com domain and all related sites are inaccessible. It was all working fine till a few days back and now it just doesn't recognize any url from the domain!

This is how I found the problem. I use Microsoft's Live Mesh service to backup files online and keep them in sync. All of a sudden it stopped working one day. It worked fine at my office, so I decided to probe what was wrong with my home system. That's when the realization happened.

Interestingly, the online version of Mesh (http://www.mesh.com) works just fine, but the application itself doesn't because it has to connect with a server that's on the microsoft.com domain.

Anybody else facing this problem? I'm in the Mehdipatnam area in Hyderabad. Could anyone living close by please validate.

It can be conficker virus if you cannot access Microsoft and other security sites. Please confirm with the conficker chart results. If infected, please update here. There are tools using which we can remove the infection successfully.

it could also be an MTU issue , try changing MTU values..

Yep, it seems like the conficker virus. "Possibly Infected by Conficker A/B variant" is true in my case. Checking out possible solutions now.

Scan using this. Specific tool for conficker infection

link-removed: Easy Filehosting

After scanning run and install this patch that you remain safe from further infection.

link-removed: Easy Filehosting

Warn your friends of possible infection. Conficker spreads through USB drive. If your USB is used at your friends', they might be infected.

----------

PS: I cannot post original links as conficker blocks access to Microsoft and security sites. Had to upload the file so that you can use.

----------

Also try Open DNS. It prevents conficker virus to act as bot.

Back