modem for bsnl broadband and fibernet

dear all,
i do have a bsnl broadband with a modem+ wifi router.( VMC ). my broadband disconnects every few hours and i got really tired of approaching the servicemen and finally i have planned to buy an another connection, a fibernet ( cherrinet). i did a huge mistake of buying a Belkin wireless router ( N300 ) in a hurry without knowing that it is a pure router and not modem. the fibernet serviceguys said they will install their modem and this router is ok for them as it has rj45 ports. i dont want to give up my bsnl too.
my queries are : 1- if i buy a modem without a router, which model should i go for. it should suit both bsnl broadband ( phone line) and fibernet.
2- i went through lots of online articles and finally understood that the VCM modem has a DSL port which fits for a rj11 cable, where as all the new modem+router models have rj45 ports. so, in case if i want to use my bsnl, will the new model modems are useful? is there any connectors for that?( rj11-rj45 and the vice versa).
3- last query.. the bsnl serviceman suggested to buy the modem and take it to the office for configuration.. what does it mean?
i am not a techie and i request you all to kindly reply these queries in a simple terms. sorry, if i had asked any stupid questions, above.. thank you in advance.

1) You don't need to buy a modem for fiber network as it requires a ONT device which is not available in Open market. So to run BSNL you need to buy a DSL modem something like this D-Link DSL-2600U Wireless 11n ADSL2+ Router - Buy D-Link DSL-2600U Wireless 11n ADSL2+ Router Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

2)If the device is combo of Modem+Router it will have both RJ11(for telephone line) RJ45(for connecting PCs)
If you wish to buy a single device which can work on both BSNL and fiber BB go for TP-Link W8968 TP-Link TD-W8968 N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Router (White) - Buy TP-Link TD-W8968 N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Router (White) Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

3)When you purchase modem, you have to enter username,password which is given by ISP that's what lineman suggesting you to do if you can do it yourself,you dont need to take it to exchange

thank you so much boss! i would buy the TP-Link which would run on both.
is it possible to connect both the bsnl n fibernet together in the same computer at the same time and toggle between the both. or should i forgo bsnl for the new fibrenet? i am not very sure that the fibernet company will provide a good service. i may terminate it and continue with bsnl again.. that's the reason i need to hold back bsnl.

Last edited:
as in my case my act fibernet, they gave an rj45 connector at the end of the cable, also i am using my Netgear wireless modem
if they are giving you n rj45 pin, only wireless router without modem will work fine.
but modem+router combo will not work with fibernet.

Back