• Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 23,315

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
So, I am sick and tired of the piece of shite modem that BSNL gave me. Manu suggested I should get something of my own.
I have a Buffalo Wireless Router so just a modem would suffice. Though I would not mind getting a combo device provided it has similar or better wireless coverage.
The Buffalo router works fine except for one room that is at the opposite far side of the house one floor above. So, it would be nice if that coverage problem can be solved as well?
That sad... My router is Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH. I am not sure if it can be made to work as a modem? Just saying.

If you want just a modem.

An alternative could be buying a WDS compliant combo device to be used in conjunction with your existing router in WDS mode for full coverage around your house.

Upvote 0
WDS is a technology which allows you to use two routers together. The buffalo router will simply repeat the wifi signals so you will have much better range.

here's how it is setup though you don't need DD WRT for it.

Upvote 0
ah. it is already running a buffalo branded version of dd-wrt!
i guess i would keep it simple and get the modem you suggested above. alright?

Upvote 0
My experience with WDS has been pretty horrible, crazy pings and low speeds. Perhaps, I'd not configured it properly, but, well. Yep, that modem should be good enough. Why don't you place the buffalo router elsewhere by using a slightly longish ethernet cable?
As far, as returning the modem is concerned, write a letter addressed to the accounts officer, detailing the same, and submit it at your nearest CSC.
My SNR jumped from about 30 to around 42 db on switching to a buffalo modem from an mtnl branded sterlite modem.

Upvote 0
WDS works very well for mePersonally I think you should do that for wider coverage and redundancy in routers.... I have 3 routers to cover all areas of my house...

Upvote 0

Back